Fiddlevideo Members – what area of the world do you fiddle in?

Home Forums Fiddle Lesson Forum Unfiddling Fiddlevideo Members – what area of the world do you fiddle in?

Tagged: 

This topic contains 44 replies, has 28 voices, and was last updated by  Serita 8 months, 1 week ago.

• Author

Casey Willis
    Keymaster

We’re getting folks from all over the world signing up and I had a question today from an Aussie wondering if any other Aussies are site members.

I thought I might start a topic thread for folks to post their home city, just to see if that was of interest to members.

I’ll start:

I’m located in Bend, Oregon.

Who’s next??…GO!

John W.
    Participant

Fowlerville, Michigan

Roland White

Great idea! Lets add to the Bend Oregon List. Next??

ROBERTA CLAPHAM
    Participant

Sonora, California

Wafflestomper
    Participant

Las Vegas…
    we almost ended up in Bend last year.. turns out we are trying to head back to Montana this year.

DianeG
    Participant

Hi. I live in Fallbrook, California……SoCal. We are north of San Diego about 40 miles. It never rains in California….: >)
    We have a violin shop here…my husbands makes/restores violins and bows. I teach children at my home studio. I play violin and viola.
    Stay tuned. Diane

ulla_petersen
    Participant

Fredensborg in Denmark, northern Europe.

And as far as I know, there are absolutely no other fiddlers playing Scottish, Irish or American fiddle anywhere near me; very happy that I found this website!

RegisM
    Participant

Alexandria, VA

If your ever in the DC area, check out the sessions at O’Connell’s in Old town or the Auld Shebeen in fairfax!

Casey Willis
      Keymaster

That’s a good addition, Regis. Folks can post some good local jam sessions or musical events in their areas if they would like to…

Anonymous

Cornwall, england. Hi to all!

gail
    Participant

Bakersfield,CA

nice man
    Participant

Sheridan, Oregon

Singalong
    Participant

Payson, Arizona. Hi y’all!

chuck40
    Participant

Belfast, Maine, home to MANY traditional fiddlers.

Roland White

Hi Big Ben, Gail, Nice Man, Singalong & Chuck 40, thanks for chiming in. I love seeing where you fiddlers live and makes me want to visit knowing we have fiddlers from all parts of the world. I have fiddling Facebook friends from all over the US and its really fun to hear from international fiddlers now that FiddleVIdeo is such a success. We now have Ulla, and BigBen writing on the Forum lets hear from some more International fiddlers and see if we can also tag most of the USA too.

Shout out to Chuck 40 from Belfast, Maine. Chuck some of my early fiddle friends were Oldtime fiddlers from Maine, Vermont and the NE. Learned a lot of my early Contra Dance tunes from those parts and had the wonderful opportunity to meet Bob Childs, now a Boston Fiddle Luthier, founder of the Folk Group CHILDSPLAY, and former Fiddler, & dance caller playing with the Moose Tone’s. I will never forget when I met him playing a dance at a N Coast Grange Hall in Oregon, where I watched him call a dance, Fiddle while he was calling and told a good fishing story all at the same time. BTW he built Hanneke’s fiddle and ones for other luminary players.

Best wishes to all of you out there in FiddleVideo Land, keep on posting your locations and fiddle progress, we love to hear from you. , Roland Forum Moderator

• This reply was modified 2 years, 5 months ago by  Roland White.
    • This reply was modified 2 years, 5 months ago by  Roland White.

Carole
    Participant

Another New Englander checking in from central Vermont. As Roland and Chuck40 said, talented fiddlers and eager novices are everywhere. I’m in the latter group. Old time, Scottish, Irish, Cape Breton, and Quebecois are all lively here.
    Carole

portownz
    Participant

Southern Brazil! 😀

I started playing 6 months ago, inspired by some friends of mine who have a bluegrass band.

sal
    Participant

Littleton, Colorado

Olivia Hughes
    Participant

Kingston, Ontario, Canada!

• This reply was modified 2 years, 5 months ago by  Olivia Hughes.

Tracy_Music
    Participant

Council bluffs, Iowa

fabienne
    Participant

Near Paris, in France

Roland White

Hi all,

It seems I missed a few of you posting from all over the world, so sorry for the late welcome but here is a FiddleVideo Greeting to:

Carole From New England • Love those New England Contra Dance Tunes
    Portownz from Brazil •
    Sal from Colorado • My Home Birth State
    Olivia from Canada • Love that Canadian Music
    Tracy from Iowa • Lots of good fiddling in your part of the country
    Fabienne from France

Thank you all for chiming in. Wonderful to see folks from all over the world enjoying FiddleVideo.

Warm regards to all, Roland Forum Moderator

fabienne
    Participant

Thank’s a lot Roland

timmag
    Participant

Ontario, Canada.
    But I work for a cruise line, so I fiddle all over the world!

Roland White

Hi TIMMAG,

Thank you for letting us know you’re a Canadian Fiddler. Very cool you get to fiddle all over the world… So what is your fav style of fiddling..

Hey FiddleVideo members,Now that we know we have players from all over the world chiming in, how about if you tell us what your favorite style of fiddling is.

Thanks all for your participation, Roland

timmag
      Participant

Hey Roland,

I enjoy all kinds of music, but I lean toward Scottish/Irish, and Old Time fiddling.

sabrina
    Participant

Well, i’m French and although irish fiddling is the most popular style in France, i’m myself an hardcore fan of Scottish fiddling (traditional, more contemporary and Cape Breton’s) so, let’s just say that i’m feeling very, very lonely in my own country…..

I’ll wait a few years and i’ll do a whole revolution with the Scottish style !!!

S.

Roland White

Hi Sabrina,

Thanks for posting. You know that there are a lot of Scottish/Irish Crossover tunes I call them, that are played by both the Scots and the Irish, so you might try springing that on your celtic fiddle friends at your next session. Pick some of your fav tunes and then research them on https://thesession.org to see if they are widely played by both Celtic trad players and I bet you will find some players that overlap the two styles. Our little session in Bend Oregon features both Scottish and Irish tunes and depending who shows up can swing either way or play of lot of both styles.

However being a bit of a loner myself I can see you’re the perfect person to start a Scottish Music Revolution. So start converting your fiddle friends now and you will have a strong group to bring about a local musical change of style.
    Cheers Roland

sabrina
    Participant

Thanks Roland,

Actually, there is no session near my place so, for now, i don’t play with a group.

I play with the orchestra at my Conservatory and also in the ensemble that my violin teacher created.

But i don’t have folks to play fiddling music and it’s too bad : i’m jealous of you guys in United States where sessions are so common that it’s as natural as breathing…..

S.

Roland White

HI Sabrina,

Well enthusiasm always will trump discouragement so I’m glad to hear you have your Orchestra and small group ensemble for some music fellowship.

One more thought I’ve had for you that you may have already thought of is to research your best played tunes on YouTUbe and then you can play along online. This will get you in the spirit of Sessions so when you do have a chance to join one you will be primed to play along. And sometimes you start out small by sharing your tunes with another player you respect and that is interested in your music for a playing companion. Start by teaching them one of your tunes and before long you will both have a good reason to play together more often and to invite others. Best regards and keep fiddling on! Roland

sabrina
    Participant

Thanks Roland for those advices,

Yes i do like to play along with my favorites tunes on YT.

I was thinking that if i continue to work like i do know, i might be able to start my own group within a few years. And my violin teacher also thinks that there’s something to do in France with Scottish style since it’s not really a common style here.

Wait and see !!…..

Kind regards,
    S.

Roland White

HI Sabrina.

That is a great idea and I think you will have fun doing it. Good luck with your practice… I can tell you work hard and are motivated. Keep up the good work. Best Regards, Roland

enafzige
    Participant

Knoxville, TN

Casey Willis
      Keymaster

Sweet, ENAFZIGE. Welcome to the site. I lived just down the road from there (Maryville, Rockford, Sevierville, and Pigeon Forge) for about 5ish years. Tons of great picking to be had in your neck of the woods. Do you know Juanita Johnson (bass)? Hoot Whitehead? Any of the Pigeon Forge pickers?

C

David Evans
    Participant

Wilsonville Ontario Canada

Brodick1
    Participant

Brisbane Australia

Sybaris
    Participant

Edmonton Alberta Canada

Oliver
    Participant

From the Uk but live in France

Fiddleraven
    Participant

Hi, Everyone: I just joined Fiddlevideo today. I’m in Portland, Oregon.

Roland White

HI FR, Welcome to the site. I’m not from Portland but went to schools and grew up there. Great music in PDX these days. Have fun on the site. Roland

Fiddleraven
      Participant

Thanks, Roland. I’m into the bluegrass scene here in PDX. Perhaps I’ll see you at a festival or other event one of these days 🙂

Donna (aka: Fiddleraven)

Roland White

Hi FR, You bet, keep your eye on Bend there are a couple of music festivals over the early summer. Cheers, Roland

Serita
    Participant

Hi everybody! I’m from Corvallis, Oregon, but am going to school in Arizona. There aren’t any other materials engineering students I’ve met who love Texas and bluegrass fiddle, so I’m happy to find this online community of likeminded individuals.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.