What fiddle tune are you learning on right now?

Home Forums Fiddle Lesson Forum What fiddle tune are you learning on right now?

Viewing 23 reply threads
  • Author
      Casey Willis
      Keymaster

Feel free to share what tune you’re currently learning in this thread…I’ll start…

Father Kelly’s Reel (learning from Kevin’s lesson)
      The Thames Hornpipe (Niall’s Lesson)
      Golden Fiddle Waltz (Randy Howard)

Lightningie
      Participant

I’m currently learning Maid Behind the Bar, memorizing the notes. Can’t wait till I can slowly speed it up… 🙂 Also working on Beaulieu from Andre’s lessons. One of my favorites.

Maritzamb
      Participant

Le Jig à Ti-Toine (Hanneke Cassel)! Paired with Cypress Jig. I love them!

NiTeLight
      Participant

Dipping my toe into Quebecois music for the first time! I’m starting with a somewhat familiar one (Valse du Chef du Gare, which I’d actually heard Andre play on a CD) and hoping to work my way up to Beaulieu Reel and La Gigue de Terre Bonne. I’m also going back through a lot of Hanneke’s stuff and practicing the ornamentation now I have the notes down. 😛

Casey Willis
      Keymaster

Very cool…so many tunes and so little time!!

I’m also considering trying out the foot tapping thing as well as working through Niall’s chopping series…those are two things I’ve never tried and think would be cool to add to my bag of tricks…

Lightningie
      Participant

Casey, you will learn foot tapping and not regret. It was the very first thing I remember learning from Andre a couple years ago. I now find myself doing it without thinking when I play fiddle or listening to fiddle tunes, haha. And yeah I know what you mean about how many tunes there are 🙂

thistle13
      Participant

Martin Wynne (Kevin Burke video) – love it!

Aysha Hoffman
      Participant

I’m a touch obsessed with the foot tapping too – but totally not getting it yet! I’m hoping it just happens with tons of practice.

So I’m working through The King of the Fairies
      and Hommage à Philippe Bruneau

Casey Willis
      Keymaster

Good tunes, all!

I’m now working on Road to Spencer, Swinging on a Gate, Duke and Cookie, and Macedonia (mando).

mabish
      Participant

The Road to Errogie, B maj, 3rd position, 4th finger slurs, hilarious.

Casey Willis
        Keymaster

Agreed, Mabish. That one scares me!!

Scott Bass
        Participant

This one stuck out to me during my browsing through the site for what to learn. I think I will go for this one next as a project. So beautiful.

thistle13
      Participant

Garrett Barry’s Jig ~
      So many interesting variations. Some settings start with a little scale going up vs Kevins’ version. I think I’ll use both interchangeably!
      I think it’s F SHARP in measure 5, from what I hear from various players…not marked on sheet music, but it sure sounds like people play F#. Some of the tin whistle/pipe players really take off on this song, I like it slower on fiddle.

J&J Waltz-
      beautiful waltz, love its fiddle #2 harmony part. Now if I can just find somebody to play it with me!
      The guitar backing track cuts off a bit early…not sure if I’m just doing the music wrong.

re Foot Tapping:
      In orchestra and chamber ensembles, was trained never to tap my foot, only wiggle my toe inside my shoe! Will I ever be able to let loose and stomp around like a fiddler? 🙂

Mark Llewellyn
      Participant

I signed up today, July 5th, 2021. I consider myself an intermediate fiddlers playing tuned mostly from Fake Books. I want to go the next level. I tried contest fiddling in the past and enjoyed what can be done. Megan Lynch Chowning is one of my favorite fiddlers. So, I want to know how to begin here. Should I started at the first tune or pick the first from each teacher. I like the Texas Style contest tunes, but due to injuries, I’m not sure I’ll able to go to contests again, but I want to have fun and enjoyment here at home. Most of my neighbors enjoy my fiddling, but my next door neighbor hates my fiddling and is quick to ask (tell) me to shut up. So, I practice in my garage. I know my repetition gets on my wife’s nerves sometimes, but she is quick to ask me to play a tune when someone comes over. I also have many albums and tapes from Natalie MacMaster and Leahy, Mark O’Connor and or course Megan. So how to start here? I started Beaumont Rag today. I like Casey’s style of teaching so here we go.

Casey Willis
        Keymaster

Welcome, Mark. If you’re fiddling enough to annoy the neighbors, you’re doing something right! I see you’ve already picked a tune to start on, and I’d just encourage you to listen to the various performances and find those which feel a good match for your playing level and your stylistic leanings. Best of luck on Beaumont Rag, sir!

C

Sunbreaker8898
      Participant

I’m currently practicing Cooley’s Reel, a Finnish waltz called Metsäkukkia, and The Wonder Hornpipe/Off To California for a contest, but I’m also trying to work on Cane Break and Beaumont Rag to expand my horizons

Scott Bass
      Participant

Dot the Dragon’s Eye. Was so excited to see all of the Hanneke Cassel videos, and have just browsed the other artists and am excited to learn other styles I was not familiar with. Great site!

Scott Bass
      Participant

Also, very excited to practice the double stops to Ashokan Farewell.

Kryssa Lee
      Participant

I’m learning Reel Cloridorme, Reel du Gaucher, and Gardenia Waltz. Reel a Castonguay is next on my list. I’m totally obsessed with the foot tapping thing…trying to learn it. It’s coming, but slowly!
      I’m a classical violinist (been playing almost 4 years with the Suzuki system. I’m 15), so Gardenia Waltz has been pretty easy for me.

Hoping you’ll get André in for some more recording sessions!

Asher Szperling
      Participant

learning lonesome fiddle blues for a performance 😀

Diego Murphy
      Participant

After a year of watching and listing to Gardenia Waltz, I am going through and learning it! What a fun song! Gardenia Waltz is definitely the most involved song I think I have tried to learn on the site just next to Carnival waltz. It has such a treasure trove of tension and releases moments that are a joy to slow down and learn. It is very fun to learn a song that has already spent months in your ear, it’s like looking behind the curtain and seeing all the nuts and bolts of the show!

Sherri Parker
      Participant

I am a beginning fiddle player.=, and I love bluegrass music. I’m trying to learn Tennessee Waltz and Maiden’s prayer. I’m O.K. with the first part, but the double stops are hard right now.

Ed
      Participant

Maiden’s Prayer

MichaelTaylor
      Participant

All of Casey’s pieces!!! I especially love all the waltzes. I love experimenting playing these in 2nd, 3rd,4th,5th positions and beyond. You get interesting double stops in each position as you cross strings. I also like trying to play all the slow ones up an octave. My little Irish Thursday night group has come to love Jim and Judy’s waltz and also Patti’s foxtrot rag. They request them now every week. I haven’t tired Andre’s foot tapping yet!! But love that unique Quebec sound. Reel Napoleon is a really tricky key. I can still only play it slowed right down.

Willem de Bruijne
      Participant

Huckleberry Hornpipe ( Berline, Bush, O´Connor ) favy fr( Melody) Williamson Branch !
      Bluegrass in the Backwoods (Aubrey Haynie, Kenny Baker ! )

Roger Green
      Participant

My background is bluegrass and that is my passion. A few years ago a banjo pickin friend recorded a cd and included the tune Misty. He recorded it in D because his fiddle fiddler found the original key of Eb to be problematic. So I’ve set out to learn it in Eb just as a challange. Once I got in my head Eb, Bb and Ab, I was surprised that Eb was not as difficult as you might think. So, I’m working on it and happy with my efforts. I scored my arrangement using Musicore, if anyone is interested.

George Bretz
      Participant

Roger,
      It’s amazing what your brain and ear can do when you put them to task!
      The finger become the easy part.
      Thanks for sharing.
      George

Viewing 23 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.