Lesson format request

Home Forums Fiddle Lesson Forum General Fiddle Forum Topics Lesson format request

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      Andrea_S
      Participant

Hi Casey. I suspect each instructor has their own preference for their lesson format, so no sweat if this isn’t possible… One thing that really works for me is when the instructor plays the whole basic tune through (AABB, or whatever) at the end of the basic lesson. Kevin did this on Morrison’s Jig, and it’s brilliant. For many of the tunes I’ve been accessing, the only “whole tune” version is the performance video. I can use that for practice by slowing it down (awesome), but it’s great to also have a version of the basic tune (without ornamentation) to loop and play along to. Thanks!

• This topic was modified 6 years, 9 months ago by Andrea_S.
      uncleted
      Participant

Agreed, that would be very helpful!

Casey Willis
      Keymaster

I hear that, guys. Good suggestion. I believe that the majority of Andre’s lessons are this way, but there may be a few one-offs. I’ll make mental note for the next session we have planned. Thanks!!

Andrea_S
        Participant

Thanks Casey. Really looking forward to Andre’s lessons!

Andrea_S
      Participant

Hi Casey. I had a thought for a possible technique video. I’d love to understand fiddle “chording” better – by chording I mean playing double stops that aren’t open strings (not sure what the technical term for that is). I’ve been playing around with various combinations – is it the arpeggio notes that work best? My music theory is very weak, obviously.

I do have one complaint about FiddleVideo. It is really addictive! I allow myself a new tune every few days… 😉

Andrea

Casey Willis
        Keymaster

Good stuff, Andrea. Yeah…there are so many topics I haven’t touched upon yet on this project. Learning how to apply double stops within a tune would be one of them.

I did cover some tips on how to play double stops in this video, but it’s more of a technique video rather than a music theory lesson on how to choose what double stops to play. I do include some exercises, but again, it sounds like what you are really missing is more of a theory lesson.

To your point around arpeggios, that’s a great place to start. And to start, you have to know exactly what chord you are playing over within the tune…then you can start branching out and linking transition/passing notes and substitutions for the 1/3/5 arpeggio note approach to double stops.

I look forward to having more time to be able to fill in some of these theory types of instructional videos…but for now, I hope that helps!

And I’m really glad to hear you are finding the site addictive…that’s what music should do to you!!!

C

Andrea_S
        Participant

Thanks Casey, that’s helpful – working with the chord I’m playing over makes a lot of sense.

No rush to make more technique videos – it’s just a thought for down the road. I’m sure editing the new tune videos is keeping you very busy.

Cheers
        Andrea

• This reply was modified 6 years, 8 months ago by Andrea_S.
        • This reply was modified 6 years, 8 months ago by Andrea_S.
      Kitegal
      Participant

Hi Casey,

On the topic of double stops/chords – I too would love to learn those better/apply those more often and natural and automatic when playing. Some times the sheet music for the tunes shows a few double stops and this helped me a great deal to learn a nice chord this way and fit this into the ear experience going forward with other music. My dream scenario is where there is also an advance version for the sheet music in addition to the basic version, the advanced version showing all more of the doublestops and slides and octave changes and artwork all you great fiddlers are doing with the instrument. Perhaps even in musescore format (that would allow to distill the things out one wants to focus on).

No big deal though. The site is awesome as it is and the lessons of all teachers helped me so much to improve. Thank you very much for all the great work! – Sylvia

Casey Willis
      Keymaster

I hear you, Andrea and Sylvia. Yeah…I have a bunch of ideas about new content, including double stop theory…just no time to record those thoughts.

I’ll have a little more time on the latter half of this year than I have in previous years to devote to producing content, so I hope to do some catching up and record some of my own stuff early next year. Glad you guys are liking the site.

C

Andrea_S
      Participant

Hi Casey. An option that I would really like is if the videos retained the most recently applied settings. In other words, if I set a loop and speed for a particular video lesson or performance, it would be great if the video retained that loop/speed when I re-opened that video when logged into my account, for my next practice session. I have no idea if that is technically possible or not, and am only requesting it in case it’s an easy thing to do. Another cool thing would be if the site could quickly take me back to my most recently accessed tune (the one I’m working on) without my having to search for it – again, no idea if that is technically possible.

Thanks again for all your work on this site – loving it, and these are only “fine tuning” suggestions 😉

Andrea

Casey Willis
      Keymaster

Hi, Andrea. Good fine tunes – those would both be useful, for sure. The loop memory one would be technically more difficult. The “favorite lessons” one might be easier to implement. I’ll take a look at that to see if it would work in this site’s environment. No promises, but I’ll take a look. Super busy right now with a studio move and a couple of new artists joining this year…but it never hurts to throw good ideas my way. Thanks!!

Andrea_S
      Participant

Hi Casey. Just want to mention that I appreciate the mix of beginner/intermediate with advanced tunes. Much as I love Andre’s tunes, I was finding his reels a bit too challenging. Then up popped Reel a Castonguay – yay!! So fun. Thanks!

Casey Willis
        Keymaster

That’s exactly what I was going for when I selected that one, Andrea. Andre’s stuff is really technical, so I thought it would be good to do a slower one to mix it up.

In general, Andre’s reel lessons will be more advanced…but there are a handful of slower marches/waltzes which will appeal to players of all levels.

Glad you enjoyed!!

C

Ringlets
      Participant

Heya, Casey

Thanks so much for the site – I’m really enjoying it.

Would it be possible for the instructors to wear a colour that doesn’t melt into the background? Hanneke is bare armed and Keven tends to wear lighter clothing, but Niall and Patti wear a lot of black and it’s difficult to see arm position, which is something I’m still struggling with.

Also, it would be a great help if the Irish tunes, at least, were taught in sets. I never feel comfortable calling a tune set at a session until I can nail the transition between the two, and it would be awesome to have recordings where both are played together so the transition can be practiced. Kevin talked a little about this in the “Down the Broom” video, and he played an alternate ending when going into “Gatehouse Maid”.

The site is a great accomplishment, and a great resource. Thanks again!

Casey Willis
        Keymaster

Hi, Ringlets. Yep. Really good point.

When I started this project several years back, I thought that darker cloths would fit better with the overall site design…but you’re right…the contrast makes it difficult to pick out arm position. We’ve now started mixing things up with more lighter/mid-toned shirts for the instructors when they head to the Fiddlevideo studios for new recording sessions.

That said, we still have a HUGE (130-150) backlog of lessons which have been recorded but not yet produced…some of which feature instructors in darker cloths. But great point, and agreed.

Agreed also on sets. Where possible, the instructors do refer to sets…for instance, right now, Hanneke is reviewing the lesson for Flora MacDonald which many times follows Bog An Lochan in a set…and that’s the next tune up for me to edit for her. I’ll include links to the set tunes in these cases going forward…feel free to point out any lessons which are generally played in a set to me that I can update with links. Also, you might check out Kevin’s Thoughts on this subject.

Thanks for the kind words! Welcome to the site!

C

Ringlets
        Participant

I also wanted to add that I love the slower downer you’ve added. Def a huge help navigating the tricky bits! <3

Casey Willis
        Keymaster

Thanks for the kind words…

Yeah – the combination of an up-close view of the left hand & the ability to slow down/loop sections of videos makes for a really helpful learning environment…I just wish I had all these tools when I was learning fiddle.

Back then, cutting edge tech was the ability to slow a cassette tape down to half speed…

Carry on!

C

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.