Reaching the G string and holding the fiddle

Home Forums Fiddle Lesson Forum Fiddling Techniques and Playing Advice Reaching the G string and holding the fiddle

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Steve Corbin
      Participant

Does anyone have recommendations for holding the violin for people that may have limitations. I am having difficulty reaching the G string notes especially playing double stops with the D string. I ‘m sure differences in people’s anatomy , some with longer fingers more stretch ability etc.

For myself I’ve experimented with different ways that is recommended from fiddle sites. I usually wind up seeing really fantastic players using whatever works for them individually and deifies the standard rules.

I haven’t found anything that works very well for me. Maybe I need to practice and play more for development. I do have one handicap. I had an accident with my middle finger on my left hand. I had to have surgery to steel pin it back together. This has resulted in a loss of use of about 25percent of that finger bending down.

I realize that is something I will have to deal with. But beyond that hardship I still have trouble with the good fingers reaching .

Any suggestions are appreciated.

George Bretz
      Participant

Steve,
      Casey will probably chime in here.
      My first thought is to get a shoulder rest that will lift the left side (outside) of your instrument.
      In the process you would move your instrument to a more vertical position…less horizontal flat.
      In this position your wrist and fingers need a touch less arch, tension.
      I use an Everest PL 4 that allows for pretty good tilting but you may need more.

Of course, as you note nothing will beat practice or trial error.
      I’m sorry to hear about your handicap. You seem to have good awareness that it can be overcome.

You may have heard of the guitar great Django Reihardt or banjo player Barry Abernathy. Both overcame some serious challenges to play great music. You can see both on YouTube.
      Happy New Year
      George

Steve Corbin
        Participant

Thanks for the response, George. I have been a guitar player most of my life which has kept me playing even after the accident. I’ve always wanted to play fiddle. Good suggestions. I was aware of the tilting on the violin with the aid of a shoulder rest. I have mine as far as it will go. I think my stocky build makes my muscular movement a little restricted as well.

Sounds like I’m making excuses. I think at this point the stretching recommendation is a must for me. I’m getting older and not as pliable as I used to be.

Love, love, love good fiddle music.

Thank you very much.

Casey Willis
      Keymaster

Hi, Steve.

George has a good point. Having a good shoulder rest which raises the G string side of the instrument is a solid recommendation. I use Wolf Forte Secondo rests.

I’d also recommend doing a bunch of stretching before working on some G/D string exercises. You might also check out my technique tutorial on vibrato to see how I recommend holding the neck of the instrument.

It’s a tough problem, for sure…good luck as you work on it!

C

Steve Corbin
        Participant

Thanks for the response, Casey. I have been a guitar player most of my life which has kept me playing even after the accident. I’ve always wanted to play fiddle. Good suggestions. I was aware of the tilting on the violin with the aid of a shoulder rest. I have mine as far as it will go. I think my stocky build makes my muscular movement a little restricted as well.

Sounds like I’m making excuses. I think at this point the stretching recommendation is a must for me. I’m getting older and not as pliable as I used to be.

Love, love, love good fiddle music.

I’ll check your video out.

Thank you very much.

Tanya Renaud
      Participant

Try experimenting with fiddle placement more towards the middle (scroll pointing forward) of your body instead
      of the side. Experiment also with height. Make sure your fiddle isn’t pointing up too high but not down towards the floor either but maybe a little lower than level would help with getting the G string, that way you won’t have to raise your bow arm as high to get to it. Also experiment with bow placement either closer to the bridge or further away from the bridge. If you play further away from the bridge you can more easily make a sound without putting much weight on your bow and you need to be lighter in order not to make a crunching sound but it makes it easier. In the end it’s like a recipe, try this, try that, taste it and see if the amount is right, spend the time and figure out what amount of this or that works for you and what exactly to tweak to get what feels good when you are playing. I recommend playing extremely slowly on an open string to get used to these new positions to give yourself a real chance as anything you tweak will affect other things that will need tweaking. For example moving your fiddle to a different spot means your bow arm will need tweaking as well to be able to play with a straight bow, the main thing is to try different things. Also help from a good teacher can help as well.

Steve Corbin
      Participant

Thanks for the good info Tanya. I’ll be trying some of your suggestions. Do you know if there is a stretching exercise for this as well?

I don’t seem to have much issue with any other string. I have noticed too, I can play single notes better on the D, A or E strings after I have worked on doing double stops that included the G string. So at least i’m gaining ground by trying.

Thanks again.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.