New Kevin Burke Recording Session – Tune Requests?

Home Forums Fiddle Lesson Forum Lessons in Production – Fiddle Tune Requests New Kevin Burke Recording Session – Tune Requests?

Viewing 38 reply threads
  • Author
      Casey Willis
      Keymaster

Hello Fiddlevideo subscribers.

Just a note to let you know that master fiddler Kevin Burke is scheduled to be back in the Fiddlevideo studios for another recording session this December. While there have been several lesson requests for Kevin in other forum posts, please feel free to post a request comment in this thread. Kevin will review a combined listing of tunes requested in the past as well as those requested in this posting…he may choose to teach a tune you suggest!

Keep in mind that in addition to the 50+ Kevin Burke tunes already published on the site, he has also already recorded the below lessons (currently in our production pipleine):

The Tolka Polka
      Contentment is Wealth
      Cuz Teahan’s
      John Stensens Reel #1
      John Stensen’s Reel #2
      The Boys of Malin
      The Maid Behind the Bar
      The Shores of Lough Gowna
      The Star of Munster (Gm)
      The Star of Munster (Am)
      Roll Out the Barrel
      Up in the Air
      Garrett Barry’s Jig
      King of the Fairies
      Stack of Barley
      Old Torn Petticoat
      Stan Chapman’s Jig
      The Burnt Old Man
      The Galway Rambler
      The Mason’s Apron
      The White Petticoat

OK…what additional tunes would you like Kevin to record for The Fiddlevideo Project??? Go!

alanboyce
      Participant

This is exciting Casey! How about Galway bay/drunken sailer?

I’ll be anxiously waiting Garret Barry’s and King of the fairies, those are two of my favorites. Thanks for all you do!

Casey Willis
        Keymaster

Sounds good, Alan. I know that’s one you requested for Kevin’s last session that didn’t make the cut…perhaps he’ll choose it this time around!

And I’ve just moved King of the Fairies and Garret Barry’s up to the top of Kevin’s production list.

Cheers!

Casey Willis
        Keymaster

Lessons for The King of the Fairies and Garrett Barry’s Jig are both out to Kevin for review, Alan. Stay tuned, sir!

C

Casey Willis
        Keymaster

Hi, Alan.

Both Galway Bay and The Drunken Sailor are now published. Cheers!

jsims
      Participant

Would love to hear his version of The Humours of Lissadell.

Glad to hear there are more Kevin recordings coming.

Keep up the good work.

jacqueline
      Participant

September 5, 2019 at 19.08

I would love to hear him do a workshop on the Brosna Slide.

PRobbo
      Participant

As suggested by alanboyce previously, Galway Bay & The Drunken Sailor would be fantastic.

Personally I would love to hear Kevin’s suggestions and tips on how to speed tunes up once the basic melody has been mastered.

Thanks all.

Ringlets
      Participant

Saddle the Pony

Christmas Eve Reel (aka Tommy Coen’s)

Love this site! Thanks so much, Casey, for dreaming it up!

RegisM
      Participant

Stella’s waltz – PLEASE!!!

Casey Willis
        Keymaster

Hi, Regis.

We just published Kevin Burke’s lesson covering Stella’s Waltz. Thanks for your patience!!!

You can see the lesson here: Stella’s Waltz

All the best!!

C

olmmbill
      Participant

I second the whole list, especially Christmas Eve Reel. Keep ’em coming.

Am
      Participant

Mary young and fair

YodaRico
      Participant

Midnight on the Water. Thanks.

mfiddlz
      Participant

How about Tam Lin? We play this one at Flanagan’s Pub in Grand Rapids, Michigan and I’d love to learn and hear Kevin’s rendering of this fun tune!
      Thanks so much!
      Mary

ClareCatch
      Participant

How about Sweeney’s Buttermilk?
      cheers!
      Clare

armin
      Participant

Jenny’s Welcome To Charlie–reel
       Lord Mayo – march , O’Sullivan’s March
      slow air  The Wild Geese , Aisling Gheal, Sliabh na nBan  ,Limerick’s Lamentation
      Thanks Armin and Sara

Kitegal
      Participant

I don’t know whether it is possible because Kevin plays all the tunes solo which is super-beautiful…..but if you could add the chords for guitar/accompaniments that would be awesome because I want to play them with others. Not everyone can play solo fiddle like Kevin does, he is a true master.

Cheers! – Sylvia

armin
      Participant

The Strayaway Child – The Bothy Band
      Thanks Sara

armin
      Participant

The wise maid
      The Tarbolton
      THanks Sara

armin
      Participant

Winnie Hayes
      The Battering Ram

Roland White

Hi Casey, Always good to hear that Master Kevin Burke is creating more lessons. I know he already has plenty to choose from so I’m hoping he would like to do Loftus Jones. BTW Site is awesome with added enhancements and new lessons. Thanks, Roland

CyGuy
      Participant

Oh slip jigs please! Any slip jigs! Many slip jigs!

And I second the Tam Lin. Thanks!

jgatch
      Participant

Tam Lin,
      Strayaway child

jgatch
      Participant

New Mown Meadow!

Mnoort
      Participant

Broken Pledge

Lakesider
      Participant

Hi Casey,
      I’ve been listening to versions of “Foxhunter’s Slip Jig”, (different to “Foxhunter’s Reel”). It’s a terrific stand-alone session tune, which Kevin played brilliantly when he was a tiny bit younger and I am guessing that it’s one he’d enjoy teaching on to us. I would very much like to pair it up with The Butterfly, which I’ve been learning from Kevin’s tutorial.
      I’m finding that I’m increasingly able to tackle some of the more difficult “Pro Fiddle’s” tutorials, as I begin to reap the rewards of my fiddle music teacher’s lessons. I’ve recently begun tackling some of the more difficult pieces presented by “Pro Fiddle’s” great tutors and look forward to playing them in sessions here in England.

Big “thank you” from,
      Dan

Mckoc65
      Participant

I will second the call for more slip jigs :), such as Ride a Mile. Thanks!!

Casey Willis
      Keymaster

Thanks for the suggestions, folks. I’ve passed these on to Kevin for consideration.

Kevin will be in studio shortly, and I’ll post the list of new lessons he recorded here in the forum once we wrap.

Cheers!

C

Bre
      Participant

Really appreciate the help with the slip jigs. If others are interested as well I think a tutorial on hardiman the fiddler would be helpful! Something about it trips me up. Thank you!

Casey Willis
        Keymaster

Hi, Bre. You’re welcome for the slip jigs! We’ll add Hardiman the Fiddler to Kevin’s running request list…he may choose to record a lesson on that tune.

Rumor has it that Kevin may be back in our studios for his 7th recording session in late August/early September…stay tuned!

C

armin
      Participant

Great News That Kevin will be back in Studio
      Can you please ask him to teach us
      The Congress Reel
      Jenny’s Welcome To Charlie -Reel
      Thanks Armin and Sara

Casey Willis
        Keymaster

Hi, Armin & Sara!

Consider these tunes added to the running list…Kevin may choose to teach them. Also – just to let you know we haven’t forgotten about your request for O’Carolan’s Concerto & Loftus Jones…those are still in Kevin’s queue for review, so hopefully they will be published soon!

C

Ringlets
      Participant

Would love to hear Kevin’s take on The Bucks of Oranmore

Thanks, Casey
      ( PS Just bought your CD “Bits and Pieces” – love it!

Casey Willis
        Keymaster

Hi, Ringlets! Thanks for buying the CD, and I’m glad you like it! I need to cut a new one…just never enough time!

I’ll add The Bucks of Oranmore to Kevin’s list…he may know it/choose to teach it.

Cheers!

C

Kryssa Lee
      Participant

Hi guys,

I would love to have Kevin teach the Irish tune The Kerry Dance.
      Thanks!

Participant

The Maids of Mount Kisco please and the Salamanca!

wfhayes
      Participant

Would love to see “Cottage Groves” pop up on my notifications one of these days.

PRobbo
      Participant

My word this is a superb website!

I’ve seen Mr Burke live quite a few times now back in the UK and two of my all-time favourite tunes he played were ‘Itzikel’ and ‘Kitty O’Shea’, so I would love to hear his take on these two tunes. I learnt to play both tunes but there has always been some ‘swagger’ missing from my versions, so any tips would be very useful.

On the other hand, I don’t mind what Mr Burke chooses to play…they’re all an utter joy to watch and study.

Casey Willis
        Keymaster

Hi, PRobbo.

Thanks for the kind feedback on the website…glad you’re enjoying membership.

Cool to hear you’ve been able to catch Kevin live. And good news, he did end up recording a lesson for Itzikel in his most recent recording session…it’s in the production queue and you’ll see that lesson published on Fiddlevideo in the future. I’ll add Kitty O’Shea to Kevin’s running request list, and he may choose to record a lesson covering the tune in a future session.

If you haven’t seen it yet, we posted a listing of all of the tunes Kevin recorded in his last recording session in this thread.

All the best!!

C

Rosie
      Participant

Would Kevin please, please consider teaching Evening Prayer Blues? Thanks. Rosie

BradTaylor
        Participant

I second Evening Prayer Blues!

Thanks, Brad

Casey Willis
        Keymaster

Added to Kevin’s running request list for his next session…thx!

Rosie
      Participant

Thank you Casey. Love this website! Rosie

Christie DeMichael
      Participant

I keep looking for Stack of Barley. Is Kevin doing a tutorial on it? It was my father daughter wedding Dane 35 years ago, and I want to play it on the fiddle.

Casey Willis
        Keymaster

Hi, Christie.

We pivoted towards some of the newer recording sessions, but you are correct – there are still a couple from this old session which haven’t been produced…I’ll bump Stack of Barley in the production team’s queue…stay tuned!

C

Christie DeMichael
        Participant

Thanks for getting back to me! If it’s going to be more than a month, is it possible to get the sheet music in the interim?

Casey Willis
        Keymaster

Hi again, Christie. I emailed you…all the best!

Lakesider
      Participant

Hi to Kevin, firstly, I very much hope you’ve kept well this past couple of years!
      And for new tune requests… in addition to the two already made, (“Louis Waltz” and the accompanying “Schottishe”, please!), I would love to learn a really special set, if it’s in your repertoire: “Guillespies Mazurka”; “The Baker’s Reel”; and “The Calgary P” (?) – just heard Zoe Conway play it on YouTube.
      Thanks a million for your tutorials.

Asher Szperling
      Participant

can we get a ‘cup of tea reel’ tutorial from kevin? seen some people play it on youtube and i just love it, would be awesome to see kevin’s version

Casey Willis
      Keymaster

Hi, Lakesider and Asher. I’ve added these suggestions to Kevin’s running request list. We don’t have a new session on the books right now, but when he makes it back to the studio, he’ll take a look at all of the requests and may choose to teach some. All the best!

Kirby
      Participant

I would request a tutorial from Kevin, ” Drowsy Maggie”

Casey Willis
        Keymaster

You’re the second to request this tune, Kirby…It’s on the list, and hopefully Kevin will choose to record it during his next session!

Viewing 38 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.