Medleys

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Katiemyoung2119
      Participant

One of the things I am having an issue with is figuring out how to create my own medleys. I know that the styles of music for Irish and Celtic may transition different, or combine different types of songs in the genre’s differently. I am struggling with how to know what songs can connect well together, and how to make transitions – whether it be by improvisation or by playing from one tune right into the next. Of the most interesting to me is how at fiddle competitions Scottish players often pick pieces that have very different key signatures, yet somehow make the transition very elegant. Please, let me know any advice for how to choose the proper repertoire for both genres to keep authentic, and any other helpful information you may have.

Casey Willis
      Keymaster

Hi there, Katie. I’ll pose your question to Hanneke. She’s a busy lady, but I’ll let you know when she gets back to me. Thx!!!

Hanneke Cassel
      Participant

Hey Katie! Here’s some advice for putting together medleys: LISTEN LISTEN LISTEN. If you’re going for a Cape Breton medley… listen to as many CB albums as you can and even learn some medleys exactly as they are played from your favorite albums. They tend to stay in the same key-ish. (ie… A min to A maj and everyhing in between.) For a more trad Scottish set, find tunes written during the same time period… a bunch of Skinner strathspeys, or William Marshall jigs, or pipe tunes from the past 15 years. Try to find tunes that relate. BUT REALLY, you can put together ANYTHING if you do it BOLDLY and if YOU love it. Happy fiddling!

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.