Fiddle Contest Song Recommendations

Home Forums Fiddle Lesson Forum General Fiddle Forum Topics Fiddle Contest Song Recommendations

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Kryssa Lee
      Participant

Hi everyone,

I’m thinking about being in a Texas style fiddle competition/contest either this year or next, and I’m wondering what would be good songs to play? I have to play a breakdown, a waltz, and a tune of choice. I’m an early advanced level.

Thanks!

Casey Willis
      Keymaster

Hi, Krissa. Good for you for tackling the contest environment. Contests are great because they are good motivators…and they force you to decide on a specific set of tunes, notes, and bowings.

But as far as what specific tunes you should pick, I’d say start with what you know and bucket your bag of tunes into the three categories. Keep in mind you will likely need to pull together at least two rounds under the time limit. If you are short a tune or two in a category, I would recommend taking a look the rounds played at a couple of similar contests in years past and then picking a few tunes that are within reach to practice up.

Best of luck, and don’t forget that contests are just a means to an end (like sheet music).

C

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.