Double Stops

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      bond61
      Participant

I’ve been playing violin for 1 1/2 years now and I’m now trying to learn “Double stops” I have to say it’s challenging. While I was again, watching your advanced video on “Lovers’ Waltz” and trying to figure out the double stops you were explaining. I went back to see if you had any video lessons teaching that. I couldn’t find a video on it. Is there a chance that you could make a video lesson on that someday soon? I’m sure that would make a lot of us fiddle player want-a-be
      very happy! 🙂

Roland White

Hi Bondi, I know Casey will chime in with you on this but I can say that double stops are a lot of fun and they really make the fiddle ring. Casey has some beautiful double stops in Lovers Waltz so I won’t try to answer your questions on that. But one thing I’ve learned over the years is when starting to learn double stops begin by using the open strings as drones or cords whichever the case may be. This helps you develop your ear to being in tune. Then to start learning cords get a mandolin cord chart and start learning the simple 2 string cord positions so you have an idea of what happens on the fiddle. Before long you will be making cords within your tunes naturally. So have fun and I hope this helps you enjoy the learning process.

bond61
      Participant

Thanks for the tip. I’ll check out a mandolin chord chart book. but in the meantime, I’ll keep going at it one measure at a time, one double stop at a time. If it was easy it wouldn’t be as rewarding right?

Casey Willis
        Keymaster

Hi there, sir. I like that idea. I’ll need to do some studio prep prior to Patti K showing up for her session…I might just take you up on your suggestion to record a short tutorial on double stops. And I wholeheartedly agree with Roland – Mando is a great way to learn shapes and build your muscle memory if you’re just getting into double stops.

Stay tuned!!

bond61
      Participant

Sounds good Casey. I look forward to the lesson on “Double Stops”

bond61
      Participant

Great job on the video lesson for double stops Casey. This is exactly what I was looking for. This is defiantly not something that I’m going to be able to grasp in a week or two. The fiddle tunes and waltz’s sure sound great when I do get lucky and hit the double stops spot on. Give me a year and I’ll get back to you on how I’m doing with them lol.

Thank you!

Casey Willis
        Keymaster

Excellent, sir!! You’re in it for the long haul, and if you keep that attitude, you will be great at double stops!!

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.