Doing some work with the site this week

Home Forums Fiddle Lesson Forum Doing some work with the site this week

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Casey Willis
      Keymaster

Hi, FV members. Just a note that we’re in the process of doing some fairly extensive updates to our website this week. We were recently notified that the drop-down menus were not working for Android devices, and of course, we want the site to work for as many folks on as many devices as possible.

As we work to make these changes, you may notice that some of the side-bar widgets look a little different. Please let us know if you experience any functionality issues with the site…the main focus here is the lessons, so as long as those work as we make the changes, good.

Feel free to post in this thread if you are experiencing any trouble in accessing the site.

Thanks for your patience as we work to make this site even cooler than before!

Cheers!

Casey Willis (and the FV team)

RobKielty
      Participant

Hi Casey,

I’m on my laptop now and I had a quick look at the navigation menus, whilst having the Chrome Developer Tools open.

I can recreate the problems as follows in Chrome, on my laptop (Not just Chrome on Android)

Step 1 Login,
      Step 2 Mouse over a drop down say, “Taught By” ; drop down menu listing teachers names appears.
      Step 3 Click on the Text “Taught By”; drop down menu disappears
      Step 4 Click on the Text “Taught By” again drop down menu does not appear.

So this emulates the issue on Chrome on Android and in a nutshell if you implement an onClick event to show/hide the drop down menus I think it will work better on both on touch based devices and mouse driven ones.

A quick google leads to the following discussion https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/forum/#!topic/input-dev/LJJtFVxi9aI

The last post on this discussion points out that relying on mouseOver events for navigation has a variety of limitations even outside what we have encountered here.

Hope this helps!

Rob

• This reply was modified 7 years, 2 months ago by RobKielty.
        Casey Willis
        Keymaster

Hi, Rob. Great info and suggestion. Clearly, this is an area in which you know your onions. We have an updated template to install, and if that doesn’t do the trick, I’ll research the google topic thread and do some custom coding in our child theme. Thx again, sir!

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.