CodaBow Joule

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Sunbreaker8898
      Participant

I’m saving up for a new fiddle and bow currently. I mainly play Trad. Irirsh music and was wondering whether the CodaBow Joule would be a good option.

Aysha Hoffman
      Participant

Looks like a very nice bow – I tried a coda bow when I upgraded, they have a ton of great reviews from all styles (although my playing did not do it justice) it was a lovely bow, I don’t think you will be disappointed.

I am not sure if the fiddle matches the bow, seen fiddlers pick up basically anything and play like they owned it, but that wasn’t me, (I barely play my own like I own it) but I was in need of an upgrade…so I blind tested 5 in my price range, I didn’t even know there were so many different bows…..I picked one I had not even considered (my husband joked that it was like me – an expensive little thing!) but it felt great and sounded just as I had imagined.

If you have the option, maybe you could try some – who knew there was so much in a bow…and a fiddle!

Kitegal
      Participant

Hey there,

I have a Codabow Joule and don’t regret getting it. I got it when I got a 5 string fiddle to have a bit a weightier bow for the C string. The bow works perfectly well for this purpose but I like it so much that I am using it also often on a 4 string. It depends on the occasion.

The Joule comes with the advantage of being more robust than a wooden bow so I use that preferably when fiddling outdoors or at jams (yep, only with vaccinated friends) etc. I am comparing this to my nice wooden bow which I would prefer in more calm settings, probably. Both bows are producing sounds which have different qualities to them.

What Aysha says though rings true – the bow needs to match the fiddle. The Joule produces a very nice sound though on all instruments but my nice (aka expensive) wooden bow creates a warmer more broader sound I would prefer in perhaps solo playing or calmer settings.

For fiddling though, especially together with other players I’d prefer the Joule. It also feels very good.

Casey Willis
      Keymaster

Good feedback, Aysha & Kitegal.

I believe Patti Kusturok plays with a Coda Joule…seems like a solid choice to me.

C

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.