Bowing

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Joe Brown
      Participant

What are the important points to remember for a bow line? I am beginning to stray from some of the bowings of songs that I learned and then have not played in a while. Sometimes slurring instead of separate bows if it helps with speed or makes more sense to me. Also as I attempt to change an arrangement into a shuffle pattern instead, it would be helpful to know what are the “rules” that make for good bowings. For example, downbeats/first notes of a measure should generally be a downbow. (Georgia Shuffle being the exception)
      What other “rules” should I keep in mind as I create my own arrangements or play a tune that I have not played in a while and long since forgotten the original bowings?

Casey Willis
      Keymaster

Hi, Joe. Downbow on downbeat a good baseline rule, one which should absolutely be broken depending on phrasing. Also, depending on the style played, some rules don’t apply. Take a look at Kevin’s lessons, for instance, and you’ll notice that he often favors upbows on downbeats.

You can see opinions from our various instructors here: Fiddle Bowing Technique Lessons

That’s probably a good place to get some ground rules from which to build your own versions of tunes. Best of luck…you’re now tackling the fun stuff!

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.