Upgrading for the future…

Home Forums Fiddle Lesson Forum General Fiddle Forum Topics Upgrading for the future…

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Wafflestomper
      Participant

This is probably going to be more of a ramble than a question. I apologize…

I’m just curious about what level of fiddles people are playing, especially around the jamming and contest circles.

I started playing when I was eight. I did the contest and jamming thing, but our families didn’t have a lot of money. We were always fortunate enough to get some pretty decent fiddles for the price. I remember if someone had a $1500 fiddle it was like “WOW!!”

But we played them hard, and we won state contests with them, our group of scrubs did “okay” at Weiser.

Due to career and life.. I fell out of playing when I was about 20. I hit a plateau and just never had the time, drive or money to get past it. And there my fiddle sat in the closet. It eventually got sold when financial crises hit, and was later replaced with a really cool turn of the century Stainer copy that doesn’t play worth a damn. But it was a gift from my granparents, and its cool looking… so I held on to it.

Recently, something lit a fire under my butt. Either my neice and nephew are getting into fiddling, and taking lessons from some very respected fiddlers (which means I have to get back on my game if we are gonna jam) or the fact that we have decided to move back to our home state… which means I will be jamming with all my old buddies and doing the rounds.

After about 20 years, it was a struggle.. I could’nt even remember how to hold the thing. I felt like I had sausage fingers. The brain still remembered most things, but the old chassis is getting a bit broke down.

So I went to the local shop (its all classical in this town, I swear) and picked up a 2015 Chinese fiddle. I swore Id never do that… to my surprise it was pretty decent. I played it for a week and everything came flooding back… and found that I was upgrading two weeks later… to an “ancient” 2009.

To be honest, being a chinese 2009 fiddle, this thing plays wonderfully, and in all honesty is probably better than anything I played in my youth.

Getting to the meat of the question:
      Im playing this fiddle, and it seems perfect for my level right now. But I feel like I’m progressing faster and will by the end of the summer probably be playing better than I ever had. I’m not sure why..maybe being a bit older I’m able to hear and understand things I couldnt as a kid. I’m not sure I’ll outclass this fiddle for a while, but I said that about the first chinese fiddle I bought.

I found a place in town that has a really cool selection, everything from really old pretty things that cost more than my truck, down to Eastman starter kits. They probably have a hundred fiddles or more.

I have the means and the money to afford it now. I probably wont when we move back home as we are essentially trading money and career in for family and quality of life. So I really want to get set up while I still can, even if the fiddle is out of my playing level..as I plan to meet that level come hell or high water.

I guess what I’m asking is, what level of fiddle is overkill for serious jamming and maybe hitting the contest circuit? My experience is really limited to “making do” with what we had…

I already know the answer “You have to play them and if something speaks to you, go for it”

Maybe I’m looking for validation, or maybe I’m hoping someone will talk me out of spending money.

I just have this nagging feeling, that down the road I’ll be kicking myself for not having an upgrade.

/endrant

ulla_petersen
      Participant

Hi Wafflestomper! 🙂

To me it sounds as if your interest in fiddling really has been rekindled! And that you know yourself well enough to foresee that you will indeed be kicking yourself in the future if you don’t upgrade while you can.

I have no idea what level is appropriate for serious jamming where you are; I live in Denmark, Europe, and as far as I know we don’t even have jams or contest like you do in America (my experience is that Scandinavians like to gather in big groups and play together in unison, with nobody playing louder or better that anybody else) so you’ll need answers from American fiddlers on that.

So my answer is: Go for it while you can! 🙂

Roland White

Hi Wafflestomper, I’m a believer in playing on the best that you can afford and in some cases what you can’t afford. Music is a special experience but playing a good fiddle in my opinion is a Magical Experience. When Fiddler and Fiddle meet in that special place where you can hear the fiddle ring and the notes are just notes until you give them your personal touch and the resonance of the instrument you can feel in your bones, and your ears melt with the sweetness of tone and it feels easy to play. I don’t think you should sacrifice or compromise but get the best fiddle you can. It sounds like you have rediscovered what I call Fiddle Maddness and that you will be playing well into your later years. Might as well play on one that tickles your ears and helps you love your music even more. Best regards, Roland Forum Moderator.

Wafflestomper
      Participant

Thanks Ulla and Roland.. thats kinda what I expected (wanted) to hear.
      I know it was kind of a ridiculous question, I guess I just needed to work through it in my head, and your forum had to be the outlet 😉

The one I have is really decent, no doubt about it. But my mind keeps wandering to something “more”.
      Like you said, I have “fiddle madness”, I tend to be a bit obsessive in hobbies, which can be a good or bad thing.

Lets face it, we all love toys. Part of me thinks I am just getting some kind of visceral satisfaction from getting a new toys.. and the other part says “If your eyes are wandering, maybe she’s just not right for you”.

I’m gonna say its a bit of both.

Thanks again, my voice of reason sleeps in a lot.

Now I just gotta rope some sucker into going fiddle shopping with me… Not the wife.. definately not the wife…

Wafflestomper
      Participant

Well, I have an upgrade sitting here in the house. After painstakingly playing every fiddle in the shop, I found one that was just glorious (in my opinion anyway). I’ve seen the same maker sell ridiculously low, to ridiculously high. Which makes me feel uneasy… but I absolutely LOVE the sound, so to me it sounds like it should in the price range.

The low register was like nothing I’ve ever played on any of my instruments before. I was giggling like a little girl.

I guess my point is, I love the sound *exactly* where it is… My only gripe is that the action feels a bit high.

My great white whale in fiddling has always been double stop slide from 3rd to first position.. and also double stops using my 4th finger on the G and D…

Playing today, I feel like I could practice through it, and chalk it up to fixing my technique, but I can’t shake the feeling that its going to be an issue later, with fasters songs…. Sally Goodin’ (another white whale) would be a fine example *ugh*

I’m worried that they will want to reset the neck. I’m not sure if they would opt to flatten the bridge a touch?
      Just wondering if anyone has ever had this kind of adjustment done in the past… Im worried about it changing the sound profile of the fiddle completely.

Thanks..and again sorry for the unnecessarily wordy post…yammering..and all that.

Wafflestomper
        Participant

I didnt see the section for fiddle set up and repair. My apologies

ulla_petersen
      Participant

Well, congratulations with your update! 🙂

Roland White

Hi Wafflestomper, Well thats a great story and really glad you found a fiddle you love. My experience with set up is if it already sounds really good it will only sound better if you get a expert Luthier to set it up. Small adjustments like the bridge and playability may sacrifice a bit of volume but if set up properly should as good or better. My fiddle is loud anyway so I opted for playability. My fingers are large so I had mine set up with a slightly wider string spacing and a bridge angle and height that was better for fiddle tunes and double stops. The person you bought it from may not be the best set up person, so I would only suggest that you find the best one in your area and consult with them to get the set up and sound that is best for the fiddle. You might be surprised to find that it will sound even better than it does now after they get it in perfect set up shape with bridge & sound post set up. Have fun with your new Fiddle Axe. Best regards, Roland

• This reply was modified 7 years, 11 months ago by Roland White.
Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.