Twin parts

Home Forums Fiddle Lesson Forum Twin parts

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Carura
      Participant

Hi,
      Me and a friend are playing together and we are looking for twin parts (harmonies) for folk melodies suitable for beginners. This could be either as videos or sheet music. There are few here at fiddleviedo, thank you for that, but if anyone knows where to find more, we would be happy to hear your recommandations.

thank you

Camilla

Roland White

Hi Camilla,

Thans for posting your question about Twin Fiddle. At first I didn’t have any ideas for you then I remembered my friend Chip Cohen here in Oregon that has issued two editions of Twin Fiddle books. The book Titles are Tall Tales and Twin Fiddles and there are two books available. I understand you may be able to view the material on his website so here is the link: http://www.chipcohenmusic.com

Chip is a great musician with a wry sense of humor and the books have some interesting fiddle lore and history on tunes as well as some pre-made arrangements for you and your friend to try out. Good luck and Fiddle on!
      Best regards, Roland

Casey Willis
      Keymaster

Hi, Camilla…I sent you an email. Thanks!!

Pat Willey
      Participant

Camilla,

I used to frequent lots of second hand book stores picking up music books when I could find them. There are not a lot of tune books dedicated to two-part fiddling. Below are the books I have collected over the past 30 odd years (I don’t have the one Roland mentioned).

The easiest to find and would be good for beginners is written for fife, but it works for fiddle. It is written in two books: “The Fifer’s Delight” by Ralph Sweet for melody parts, and “The Fifer’s Delightful Companion” by Carol for the harmony parts. You can get these from Sweetheart Flute Co., http://www.sweetheartflute.com/music.html. These tunes are Reels, Jigs, Hornpipes, Slip Jigs, Polkas, Slides and Set Dances, lots of tunes familiar to fiddlers.

For old time fiddle, Greg Baker’s, “Fiddle Workshop 2, Fun with Twin Fiddling” published in 1989 . It is very hard to find. Greg lived in Portland, Oregon, and was active in the Oregon Old Time Fiddler’s Association, but I cannot find a trace of him now. He used to do a fiddle camp at his beach home here on the Oregon coast. His book contains: Boil the Cabbages; The Dream; Cripple Creek; Old Joe Clark; Cherokee Shuffle; Red River Valley; Flop Eared Mule; Hell Amongst the Yearlings; Eighth of January; Cattle Call Waltz; Liberty; Snow Deer; Crooked Stove Pipe; Golden Slippers; Over the Waves; Silver Bells; Down Yonder; Sail Away Ladies; Rye Waltz; Twinkle Little Star; Westphalia Waltz; Red Wing; Chicken Reel; and Turkey in the Straw.

The third source is “Tim Rued’s Twin Fiddling” published in 1985. It contains 50 tunes including: Black Eyed Susie; Drowsy Maggie; Durango’s Hornpipe; Flop-Eared Mule; ‘Possum up a Gum Stump; ‘Possum up a Gum Tree; Speed the plough, Temperance Reel; The Road to Lisdoonvarna. You can contact Tim Rued through his website http://www.folksweden.com. I don’t know if he still sells his book.

I hope this helps you.

Andrea_S
      Participant

Hi Camilla
      Check out Twinfiddles.ca (or on Facebook). Gordon Stobbe and JJ Guy are a couple of fabulous Canadian fiddlers and mentors, and they are nice guys too! They create some beautiful twin fiddle music and they sell books of their tunes (with both fiddle parts) as well as CDs. My favorite so far is Maligne Canyon from their first CD. Here’s sample of their style…https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiQJTd2AVI4&feature=youtu.be

Casey – have you considered getting Gordon and JJ involved with your project? They are both great instructors.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 9 months ago by Andrea_S.
      • This reply was modified 6 years, 9 months ago by Andrea_S.
        Casey Willis
        Keymaster

Hi, Camila. Good thought. I know Patti wrote Canada Day Swing with Gordon…I’ll add these two suggestions to the list of potential instructors…they’re in the mix.

C

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.