Tune Suggestion – Moving Cloud

Home Forums Fiddle Lesson Forum Lessons in Production – Fiddle Tune Requests Tune Suggestion – Moving Cloud

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Katmando
      Participant

Kevin’s new lesson, The Dionne Reel, made me think of Moving Cloud, in G. I’m never quite sure about the structure of that tune whether there are 3 or 4 parts. Thanks!

Kathleen

Casey Willis
      Keymaster

Is that a Trad Irish tune Kevin would know about, Kathleen? If so, I can pose the question to the man himself…

Katmando
      Participant

I’m not sure if it’s traditional or recent and it might be Irish or Canadian? I’ve heard it by Pierre Schryer paired up with Dionne Reel, maybe… so many tunes! It has a very cool shuffle/bouncy bit in the beginning, which actually sounds better in F. Here’s a link to the tune in G and F. https://thesession.org/tunes/1091

Roland White

Hi KATMANDO & Casey,

As I have heard it Moving Cloud is a 3 part tune in G. The second part has a catchy phrasing that modulate from 1st position to 2nd position to make it easier to hit the notes but I’m sure there are numerous fingerings for the tune depending on the skill level of the player.

It’s played a lot on the flute which tricked me into thinking it was easy but it requires some real dexterity to play. Curious if the key of F would make that 2nd part fingering any easier.

Nonetheless I love the tune especially the bouncy bow work and the high B on the E string to catch your attention towards the end of Part A. Be interesting to hear what Master Kevin has to say as his insights from the trad world are unique in his experience. Thanks for posting the link, I’m going to give it a listen right now. Cheers, Roland

• This reply was modified 7 years, 5 months ago by Roland White.
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.