Tune Sets from Kevin's Course

Home Forums Fiddle Lesson Forum General Fiddle Forum Topics Tune Sets from Kevin's Course

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      DougP
      Participant

Hi,

Really enjoying Kevin’s course, had lots of compliments about how my playing has improved since starting it.

Anyone made any good sets from the tunes he teaches?

One I am learning is the Butterfly with the Kid on the Mountain for example.

Cheers,
      Doug

Casey Willis
      Keymaster

Hi, Doug. Kevin pairs The Gatehouse Maid with Down the Broom….he’s due back in the studio in early April…I’ll ask if there are any other pairings he recommends when he’s here.

That said, I too wonder if any other FV members have pairing/set suggestions…??

Roland White

Hi Casey and Doug P,

That is a great idea for our members to make note of their Session tune medleys. I know that from session to session there may be some overlap on 2 and 3 tune groupings but it would be fun to hear what other members are doing in their respective areas. Some folks choose all tunes in the same key and others will modulate from one key to the next in tunes. i.e. like G to A going higher and I’ve also heard from like EM to G to A used. Any FIddleVideo member feedback would be appreciated to see what is happing in different parts of the world. I have a session on Friday so will chime in later on what the latest combos are. Cheers all, Roland

DougP
      Participant

These are a few example sets from the session I go to in Heptonstall, West Yorkshire, England. I’ve not been going that long so can only play a few

Jigs
      Banish Misfortune – The Cliffs of Moher – Sean Ryan’s (The Castle)
      Blarney Pilgrim – Dusty Windowsills (The Chicago Jig)
      The Kesh – Connaught Man’s Rambles – My Darling Asleep
      Lannigan’s Ball – The Frost is All Over – Boys of the Town

Reels
      The Mountain Road – The Congress – The Foxhunters’ (in A)
      The Teetotaller – The Merry Blacksmith
      The Maid Behind the Bar – Cooley’s – The Wise Maid (All Around the World)
      Father Kelly’s – The Concertina – Christmas Eve

Hornpipes
      Off to California – Boys of Blue Hill – Harvest Home

Polkas
      Tralee Gaol – Ballydesmond(s)

Cheers,
      Doug

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.