Tune Request, The Gael

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      DanRoseberry
      Participant

First let me say I am loving this site! It is perfect for me as I am trying to learn Bluegrass, Scottish and Irish fiddling at the same time. I have learned several tunes with your help. Thanks!

I have several tunes I would like to see you guys tackle in the future, but I am only going to list one for now. The tune is “The Gael” by the Scottish songwriter, Dougie MacLean. Originally he published it on his 1990 album, “The Search”. It was later adapted by Trevor Jones as the main theme to “The Last of the Mohicans”. I have been trying to tackle this tune for months and though it is simple enough, it is a real finger-twister for me. Audiences love it, but not when I screw it up! Please help!!

Dan

Roland White

Hi Dan, Forum moderate here. So glad to hear you love the site. I’m a multi style fiddler myself and I never turn down a good tune if it catches my ear. I will pass your suggestion on to Casey and I’m sure he will chime in back to you. He schedules studio time with the various instructors and they log suggestions from players. In the meantime I’ve had good luck with the various slow down the tune tech tools as long as I get a good recording, and Listen to as many variations by other fiddlers to get new ideas. I’m sure you’re already doing that by learning all the styles of your interest. Thanks again for loving FV dot com, I agree its a top tier site. Keep enjoying your musical path, the more tunes you know the more you can play with other folks.

Casey Willis
      Keymaster

Hi, Dan. Thanks for the kind words, and I’m glad you like the site. I’ll put this one on the list for Hanneke. She is booked in the studio in April…we’ll see if she chooses to record this one. Thanks for the suggestion!!!

C

DanRoseberry
      Participant

Awesome! Thanks, Casey!

Dianacsuram
      Participant

I would like to second this request!

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.