tone/inotnation

Home Forums Fiddle Lesson Forum tone/inotnation

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      BazNF
      Participant

I’m sure this is a very common issue, and maybe there’s no real answer: I’ve been playing the fiddle for 20 years and I’m STILL uncomfortable playing in public (accordion and singing is not a problem so it’s not nerves). It’s TONE and intonation. Other than the speed/pressure/placement tips, is there any other reason why the tone can sound crappy? Any intonation tips? Finally, does anybody find that the fiddle sounds different (ie: worse) played than heard back? People tell me “it sounds fine” but to me it’s garbage. M’aider! 😉

robhanson
      Participant

Hi to BazNF!

I have played many stringed instruments over the years and can tell you that the sound you hear at the ear is not the sound heard by the listener. For the most part you will never know what the instrument really sounds like until you are about 5 plus feet from the instrument. Also if you have been playing for 20 years on the violin/fiddle, you may have some ear damage or hearing loss in your left ear.

Have someone else play your instrument and take a listen.

As far as intonation, (speed, pressure, placement of the bow), you probably can find tips on the web. I would recommend finding a live person to help you with this.

As for Tone, their are a lot of factors. (the instrument itself, setup, bow, yourself) Theses are just a few.

Lastly if you have a pickup on the fiddle or you mic the fiddle. This also can be a big factor.

Wish you luck!

Kind Regards,

rob hanson

Roland White

HI to BazNEF & Rob,

Thanks for the comments on a challenge every fiddler undertakes for tone and intonation. I’ve had some success in using drones playing in the key of choice while I practice scales or difficult parts in a tune. This training has an effect over time as your ear and sub-conscience align to the proper frequency and pitch. There are two types of drones available Synthesizer Drones and Indian Tambura Drones. I’ve personally had more success with the Tambura drones.
      You can download for free here at the Guitar Forum:
      http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=189086

Good luck and be patient give it a month and let me know if you think your hearing and performance have improved.
      Best regards, Roland

BazNF
      Participant

Thanks, I’ll check those drones out! Both of these emails help. It’s nice to know that the instrument sounds different to the listener than the player. Sometimes it’s nice to just hear that it’s a common problem. 🙂
      In the meantime, that’s for tunes. This is another matter and probably a separate post topic, but I find songs a lost cause. Harmonizing songs with long notes and/or chords I mean. I find that way more daunting than tunes, again because of tone.
      Thanks guys, good luck yourselves!

• This reply was modified 7 years, 1 month ago by BazNF.
      Roland White

Hi BAZNF,

I forgot to mention one thing about hearing the fiddle better. I had a injury at 18 years old that took 80% of my left ear hearing and left me with a serious case of tinnitus. Over time I learned that it was affecting how I heard the tone of the violin as it made it sound like a broken speaker.

I started plugging the left ear and immediately without that interference of the left ear injury the fiddle sounded better. I use that ear muff to this day and in a lesson with an advanced player who also introduced me to the drones she told me that I was actually hearing more of what the fiddle really sounded like because the sound has to travel into the air before the right ear begins to hear it, so it is more like the sound of the fiddle to the audience ears in the room.

I have heard that more folks are using a left ear mute to cut down on ear volume injuries from the fiddle so you might give it a try with just a bit of cotton or tissue to block out the initial impact of the high volume. Let us know if that helps, I think other players have the same tone issues as you.

In the meantime I have added myself to the unique fiddler name list by being a “One Eared Fiddler”, but I still have all my fingers. Best regards, Roland

BazNF
      Participant

Good point about the ear damage! A friend of mine uses a mute almost exclusively (except at sessions) for that very reason. I stay away from the mute because I’m afraid it may hide any squawks and screeches that incorrect bowing would cause. 😉
      A friend of mine is classically trained and recommended practising arpeggios. All helps I’m sure!

John W.
      Participant

ive only been playing for a little over a year. at one point I thought I was starting to get it. so I decided to take a video to show my dad. when I listened back, I was horrified! I couldn’t believe that it sounded so bad when I thought I was pretty good while I was playing. after some research I found practice drones. this helped more than anything else ive tried so far. I play the scale in the key of the practice drone. ive found that if I just spend a couple of minutes doing this at the start of a practice session then the intonation seems easier for the rest of the session. also, ive discovered that it comes and goes. like playing sports and getting on a “hot streak” sometimes intonation is hot, and sometimes not. some days I feel like I cant miss (which probably isn’t true), and some days I feel like I cant hear anything. youre not alone!
      this is the practice drone I like to use https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0X4CN39EdwY
      I cant wait to try rolands

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.