Thread for Kevin Burke Tune Suggestions – April 2017 Recording Session

Home Forums Fiddle Lesson Forum Lessons in Production – Fiddle Tune Requests Thread for Kevin Burke Tune Suggestions – April 2017 Recording Session

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • Author
      Casey Willis
      Keymaster

Hi all you awesome FV members. Kevin will be back in the studio to record a bunch more lessons for this project in early April. While we have had a number of requests over the past year for new tunes of his, they are scattered about, and I’ll need to do some searching in the forum and pull them together.

I thought it might be nice to start a thread here so folks can propose new tunes for him to teach.

I would add that although they are not yet published on the site, Kevin recorded three different versions of Toss the Feathers in his last session…they have been edited and are out for his review, but he’s a super busy guy…so maybe another month before those are published.

Anyhow, for folks who are into his lessons, feel free to post requests in this thread. He will also ask for suggestions to his newsletter/Facebook followers, and we’ll pull together a joint listing of requests from which he will choose the songs he wishes to teach.

Post away!!!

sabrina
      Participant

Hi Casey,

I don’t know if it would be a possibility, but i’d love to have his version of “Soggy’s”.

Since this tune comes from Beoga’s album “A lovely madness”, i don’t know if you need their authorization.

Here is Kevin’s playing with Beoga : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9VzomgvWw8

Truly beautiful….

Kind regards,
      S.

Ken Bruce
      Participant

Hi casey, I Would Still Like To sEE Cotton Patch Rag

Casey Willis
        Keymaster

Hi, Ken. Although this thread is for Kevin Burke suggestions, I wanted to let you know that I spent the day in the studio to record a lesson on Cotton Patch Rag. Look for that to be published in about a week, sir.

Thanks!

C

Roland White

Hey Casey, Thanks for working on Cotton Patch Rag, I’m always looking for ways to improve mine.
        Cheers, Roland

Casey Willis
        Keymaster

Here you go, Ken:

Cotton Patch Rag Fiddle Lesson

Enjoy!

kittyg440
      Participant

Could we see some polkas & another hornpipe please?

Mnoort
      Participant

I second the request for Soggy’s! Beautiful!

Mnoort
      Participant

And Knocknagow.

RegisM
      Participant

Tolka Polka
      Paddy The Caffler (Polka)
      Glen Cottage (Polka)

Stella Waltz

College Groves

The mist on the mountain

The boys of Bally castle

Breton Gavottes

You want me to keep going?

RegisM
      Participant

Oh yes:

King of the fairies (the bass-y version that uses (and starts off on) the G string).

Kevin plays this song better than any other fiddler i’ve heard play it.

Roland White

Greetings To Sabrina, Ken B, KittyG440, Mnoort, & Regism,

You guys Rock, thanks for chiming in with the tune suggestions. It reminds of something I mourn over every time get to a new Session or music festival and the saying goes…

‘There are so many Tunes…… and so little time.”

How do we manage to learn all of them. Years ago I admired a few fiddlers that had reached 1000 tunes they could play. Guess what there are 1000’s more. Keep sending them in its great to have some titles to look up and see if they are played on YouTube. Thanks for posting, Roland

RegisM
      Participant

No problan Roland.

Also for kevin:

Paddy’s Return

Humors of Lissadell

Up in the air

jsims
      Participant

Hi Casey – would like to see Kevin teach – George White’s Favorite (from his Portland album) and also would like to learn Humours of Lissadell.

Thanks for adding more tunes.

RegisM
      Participant

Garrett Barry’s

The Ballyhoura mountains (polka) <- I’ve only heard a single fiddler play this

Fanny power

Woman of the house

Father Kelly’s

• This reply was modified 7 years, 1 month ago by RegisM.
      Kitegal
      Participant

Thank you for asking, here are my Kevin Burke favorites 🙂

Seanamhac Tube Station
      Tuttle’s Reel
      Dunmore Lasses
      Maids of Mitchelstown

RegisM
      Participant

Planxty Irwin

The clumsy lover’s reel

Going to the well for water (Slip jig)

Brodick1
      Participant

Hi Casey, Gallegher’s Frolics and Sgt. Early’s Dream. Love those two tunes. Love these lessons. Linda

Casey Willis
      Keymaster

Thanks, Linda (and others in this thread) for the additional suggestions. Kevin was in the studio two weeks ago…you can see the final list of tunes he recorded in this thread. My update on 4/4 lists out the new tunes he recorded.

I’ll add these new suggestions to his running list…He’ll take a look at them next time in the studio.

Thanks!

C

Judy Boone
      Participant

Hi Casey, Kevin did a great version of The Blackbird (Two Versions) on his In Concert album 2006. It’s a treat and something I’d sure like to learn from him. Thanks! Judy

Casey Willis
        Keymaster

Hi Judy. I’ll pass this request along. Kevin may be back in the studio early next year…

Thx!!

C

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.