Swingy Maiden's Prayer

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Casey Willis
      Keymaster

And here’s a nice version of Maiden’s Prayer I stumbled upon. Gotta love the swing feel. The song starts about 1:00. Thoughts?

Roland White

WOW, Probably the best arrangement of this tune I’ve ever hear and the swing break in the middle is awesome. Expert backup with Joey McKenzie and bass player, but I don’t know his name. I remember James Mason back when I first started playing fiddle and he was always a good player. He also took down First place in the new Swing Division at the National Fiddle Contest this past year in Weiser Idaho.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Hi
      Great tune great improvising, but I miss the heavy doubblestops a little

Peter

Roland White

Hi Peter, Yes interesting using the swing segment with less of that but If you like double stops you might search youtube for Johnny Gimble. He played with Bob Wills and the Texas Playboys and has complete mastery with that technique. He also wrote the beautiful Gardenia Waltz, that Casey has on the site here at Fiddlevideo. Enjoy, Roland

Anonymous
      Inactive

Hi Roland. Have just heard some Johnny Gimble and Bob Willis play that swing style, sounds fantastic good. (I think I know 90% of them from old western movies)
      The way Casey and Hanneke play is for me some of the best sound and fiddleplaying I have heard and I work hard to get just a little of that bow control they have.
      In the meantime, I hear a lot of music they have recorded
      Peter

Roland White

Hi Peter, Glad to hear you checked it out and they really did make that music popular and it still is today. The Texas Playboys are legendary in the evolution of American fiddle music pushing it into elements of jazz and swing. As for Casey and Hanneke they really are pros and a couple of great fiddlers to be inspired by. Casey has some Bow technique tutorials that would be worth looking at and you might ask your local teacher for some Bow exercises to strengthen your bowing arm and will advance you along the way. Best, Roland

• This reply was modified 9 years, 3 months ago by Roland White.
Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.