Suggested bowings?

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous
      Inactive

Hi all, I’m very much enjoying the site and have been inspired by your diverse tune selection. However I struggle with some of Hannekas’ rythmic concepts and wonder if the sheet music could have some suggested bowings and accents. I understand ornamentation is personal but I find the influx of information quite overwhelming. Regards Ben

Roland White

Hi Bigben, Nice to hear you’re enjoying the site. I will pass this on to Casey and Hanneke for your suggestions. Over the years I have at times struggled with bowing as well till I realized that rarely do any two fiddler bow a tune identically. So I always try to imitated the feel and groove in the bowing so my bowing makes rhythmic common sense. For some folks maybe even you, written bowing’s are helpful till you get them ingrained in your style. Thanks for your input and keep up that fiddling. Best regards, Roland

Casey Willis
      Keymaster

Hi, Ben. Understand the need, sir. I’m not in a position to edit all of the existing sheet music on the site, but I’d love it if a member wanted to take this task on.

I’d be happy to trade out a free membership to someone willing to write out bowings and ornamentations for the existing sheet music on this site.

Maybe I’ll start a new thread and see if there is any interest…

Pat Willey
      Participant

Thanks to you, Ben, for starting this topic. I, too, would appreciate seeing some bowing suggestions and would appreciate the work of everyone involved. I am sure there are some folks on this site that have a great deal of talent in this area. However, this may sound contrary, but when they are posted, would it be possible to maintain the availability of the sheet music as it is today, without bowing notation? That way, if I want to put in my own bowing, it does not get ‘all marked up’. I just don’t want to encourage my tendency to rely on markings.

Also, I know that a lot of style is regional, so I am probably wrong to request general guidelines for a whole country, but it would be helpful to me if someone would post some general guidelines to bowing, particularly in regards to the music of Ireland and Scotland. If the answer is just to listen to the music and ‘play like that’, I am okay with that answer.

Casey Willis
      Keymaster

Working on this, guys. I may have a solution. We’ll see if it pans out.

And Pat, I’d be happy to send you copies of all of the sheet music with no bowings notated. I’ll keep you posted if we go that direction.

Thanks!!

C

Pat Willey
      Participant

Thanks, Casey. My original thought was that I could write bowings and see how mine compared to other’s bowings. After re-thinking my ‘left brain attack’, I realize that learning to write bowings myself would not as productive as practicing using bowings provided to me.

Pat W

Casey Willis
        Keymaster

Sounds like a winner, Pat.

Anonymous
        Inactive

Hi Pat. I am finding difficulty with achieving an authentic sound for Hannekes’and Caseys’ tunes. I personally would benefit from a more detailed score. I’ve learnt irish/english fiddle from a more basic backround and am fascinated by your american traditions, but the bowing techniques are quite advanced for some of us from a less technical background. Good luck to you!

Casey Willis
        Keymaster

Hi, guys. This is in the works. Could you each suggest a couple of tunes to start on first? That way, we can get your feedback on the more detailed sheet music, once its available. Thanks!!!

Anonymous
      Inactive

Lianne Macleans Revenge and The Glass case of emotion for me, thanks.

Casey Willis
        Keymaster

Glass Case is one of the trial pieces…I’ll bump Lianne’s up after the first round is done. I’d value your feedback. Thx!

Casey Willis
      Keymaster

Update, guys…

I spoke with Hanneke about updating her sheet music. She feels strongly that she doesn’t want bowings or more advanced ornamentations added to her sheet music. Her concern is that if theses elements are added, student’s stop learning by ear…which is super important.

So no updated bowings for Hanneke’s lessons. Sorry!!!

However, I’m moving forward with having more complex sheet music written out for all of my tunes. This process will take some time, but stay tuned. I’m also reaching out to Kevin Burke to see if he’s open to bowings/ornamentations for his stuff. I’ll let you guys know what he says.

Thanks!

C

Casey Willis
      Keymaster

Another update, folks…The below is a response from Kevin Burke regarding adding bowings/more advanced ornamentations to his music:

“I have never quite resolved the best way to present Irish tunes because, traditionally, the bowing is supposed to be supplied by the individual. I don’t know of any Irish players who learned by being given specific bowings. On the other hand, If you don’t know what to do with the bow it’s definitely helpful to have instructions. There’s an additional problem in that the bowings are constantly changing. If I play a tune twice, it’s quite likely that the bowing is different each time.

In our specific case, since we have a video presentation, the student should be able to see enough of the bowings to learn how to play the tune so I don’t really think putting the bowings on the sheet music is necessary. Once it goes onto the paper people tend to take the attitude that it’s the definitive way to bow the tune and stay with that one set of bowings.

I am working on a book (slowly) which will be transcriptions of my solo recordings. The bowings will be included in that book because it is supposed to be a written version of what is on the record. In our case the goal is to give people information on how to play and I’m not convinced that written bowings will advance their cause.
      When I give private lessons I might give a bowing suggestion for a specific phrase but mostly I try to can see what’s going on take a “bowing philosophy” approach rather than map out specific bowings. (To be honest, I don’t think I could follow it myself, even if they were my own bowings!)

On balance I think we’re better without the bowings, mainly because the bowing can be seen on the video.”

So for now, Kevin’s and Hanneke’s sheet music will remain as written. I am moving forward having sheet music updated for my lessons, and Patti’s lessons already include bowings.

Thanks!!!

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.