Song Requests for Hanneke Cassel?

Home Forums Fiddle Lesson Forum General Fiddle Forum Topics Song Requests for Hanneke Cassel?

Viewing 24 reply threads
  • Author
      Casey Willis
      Keymaster

Hanneke will be back in the studio this next week. Although song requests for Hanneke have come in occasionally since her last session, I figured now would be the ideal time to let all you current members weigh in with suggestions.

I’m wanting to go mainly with Traditional Scottish session tunes for this recording session…but Hanneke is such a great writer as well….

So there it is. Post your suggestions in this thread. No guarantees that a request will be chosen by Hanneke to record, but now is the time to get your voice heard. Fire away!!

Roland White

Casey, that is great news to hear that Hanneke will be back in the recording studio. Kudos for the continued good work on FIddleVideo to provide top tier instructors for fiddlers of all genres. Looking forward to seeing all the exciting additions to the site. Thanks for making me and a lot of fiddlers very happy to have access to this resource. Roland

DianeG
      Participant

Hi Casey….what a great site you have here….THANK YOU for all the great work and for asking for request by
      Hanneke. I’m going through and learning all her tunes…what a great musician she is Here is a tune she wrote that I had sort of learned (I’m a violinists and so new to Scottish fiddle music).
      I had learned this at a workshop in 2015, near Seattle and loved it.

“For Reals” in the key of D major.

Hope this can record this. Thanks.
      Stay tuned. Diane in SoCal

Casey Willis
        Keymaster

Awesome feedback, Diane. Much appreciated. Hanneke is somewhere down in CA right now for a fiddle camp.

I’ve added your request to the list. We’ll see if she chooses to record that one!

Thanks!
        C

Casey Willis
        Keymaster

Recording For Reals right now, Diane. ????

Roland White

Hi Diane G, Casey will be pleased to read your comments. I can say we are glad you love the site and are enjoying all the learning opportunities. Thanks so much for the tune suggestion that Hanneke wrote. She is not only an amazing fiddler, but awesome teacher, performer and tune smith too. Thanks for posting and stay in touch we love to see your comments in the forum. Roland White Forum Moderator

ulla_petersen
      Participant

The strathspey “Miss Lyle” and “The Hurricane” by James Scott Skinner; both can be heard in this video with Colin Fisher: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-o0qcXvC60

And from her first album “My Joy”: “Highlander’s Farewell”; I love the way she develops this tune!

Roland White

HI Ulla, Thanks for those suggestions. I don’t recall having heard Miss Lyle, but I have enjoyed the Hurricane as a masterpiece from Mr Skinner. He has a lot of those beautiful high difficulty tunes that are a real challenge. I’m sure Casey will pass on your suggestions and thanks for posting on the forum. Best regards, Roland Forum Moderator

Ron Davison
      Participant

Trip to Walden Pond. I think it is an original tune of hers.

thanks

Casey Willis
      Keymaster

Alright, Ron and Ulla. I’ve added these suggestions to the growing list…

Carole
      Participant

I’m happy to hear that Hanneke will be recording more lessons. I would suggest more traditional dance and session tunes, but there are some very fine newer songs being written as well. Since she is the Scottish fiddle expert, I will leave the choices to her. Hanneke is a superb performing artist–I was fortunate to hear her in concert a few months ago. Fiddle Video is the best resource on the Internet. Many thanks to Casey and everyone involved.
      Best, Carole

Casey Willis
        Keymaster

Thanks, Carole. This project has been a lot of work, and it’s really nice to hear that. But I wouldn’t be doing it if I didn’t enjoy the process.

I’m kind of leaning towards more trad selections as well, but Hanneke is such a great composer that a lot of the requests she is receiving from her fan base are for originals…I hope to do a good mix of trad Scottish session tunes and some of the amazing originals she has…

Recording starts Sunday night and ends Wednesday night, folks…Last chance!!!

RegisM
      Participant

A classic, “Bog An Lochan”!!!

Casey Willis
        Keymaster

I’ll pass It along, Regis. Thanks!!

RegisM
      Participant

Oh and Casey, I’m not trying to be greedy (yes I am), but “Sitting in the Stern of a Boat” would be great as well!

Roland White

HI Regis, Thanks for the additional suggestions, they will be considered I’m sure. Very exciting to have a world class artist like Hanneke in the studio. We can all get excited at her inspired work and accomplishments performing and teaching worldwide. Are we getting excited with anticipation yet….I know I am. Thanks for posting. Roland, Forum Moderator

Casey Willis
      Keymaster

Hanneke was interested in recording Bog an along with another tune it is paired with, Regis.

RegisM
      Participant

Thanks Casey!

Dianacsuram
      Participant

18 hrs left… Over the waterfall ??

Casey Willis
      Keymaster

Alright, folks. The recording sessions have concluded for Hanneke. Below is the final list of new tunes she chose to record. Keep in mind that we have 48 tunes from Patti Kusturok lined up for editing and production as well…We’ll be prioritizing about 20 of Patti’s to get up on the site before working on Hanneke’s latest efforts, so please be patient with us as we prep these great new lessons.

Here you go (please forgive any misspellings…it’s late here):

Lianne McClean’s Revenge
      Raivlin’s Reel
      For Reals
      Sweet Grandmother’s Spatula
      Blackberry Festival Footrace
      Miss Lyall’s Strathspey
      Brenda Stubbarts
      Stern of the Boat
      My Love is But a Lassie Yet
      Keep It Up
      Fiora MacDonald
      Mairi’s Wedding
      John McAlpin
      Dot the Dragon’s Eyes
      Bog An Lochan
      Miss Sheppard
      TIDGA Jig
      The Earl of Dalhousie’s
      Miss Lyall’s Reel
      Over the Sea to Skie
      I Won’t Do the Work

That’s Right, folks. YOU HAVE 21 NEW HANNEKE LESSONS TO LOOK FORWARD TO!!!

😉

ulla_petersen
      Participant

Wonderful!

Carole
      Participant

21 new songs/lessons–that’s incredible. Since I’m a novice, it’ll take me many years to learn them. Thank you very much, Hanneke and Casey.

Roland White

Hi Ulla and Carole, Really glad to hear how excited you are about the new material that Hanneke recorded. You certainly will have a lot of material at hand to explore those beautiful tunes. Casey will be burning the midnight oil editing to get the new tunes on the site. Be sure and check back in on the forum and tell us how your progress is coming along. Best Regards to both of you, Roland White Forum Moderator

Tomas
      Participant

Yay! I’m so glad to see Dot the Dragon’s eyes will be on there. When do you expect to have the lessons up?

Casey Willis
        Keymaster

Hi, Tomas. I’ll have Lianne McClean’s Revenge up in the next week or so. The rest will wait until I have 20-25 of Patti Kusturok’s lessons up on the site. We are blessed (or cursed) with a ton of new material…about 80 lessons are currently in production, between Patti, Hanneke and Kevin.

You could realisically expect to see this new batch of Hanneke’s material on the site starting in a couple of months.

I hope that works, sir!!!

Thanks!

DianeG
      Participant

YAHOOOOO. Thanks to Casey, Roland (for the nice welcome : >) and Hanneke (For Reals) for all the great tunes. I just paid for another month of FiddleVidio and with all these new tunes…it will keep me busy for the next year!!!!
      Stay tuned. Awesome. Diane in SoCal

Casey Willis
      Keymaster

Alright. Although we must wait a bit for the rest of Hanneke’s tunes due to the sheer volume of new lessons from Patti Kusturok which are currently in editing and production, I’ve gone ahead and published one new lesson from the lady…here you go, guys!! Hope this tides you over for a bit till be work through 20-25 of Patti’s tunes.

Lianne MacLean’s Revenge

Enjoy!!!!

Roland White

Hi Casey and Fiddle Video members, You’re awesome Casey, for keeping the happy avid fiddlers out there in Hanneke land happy with a new tune from her, Especially while you still have a boatload of Editing to do in you studio. Thanks from all of us for making this the best learning site on the web. Roland Moderator

FiddleMouse
      Participant

Could Hanneke please record Ides of March and The Crane Estate? And could someone please do Lonesome Eyes by Jerry Holland as well as Catharsis by Amy Cann?

Casey Willis
        Keymaster

Hi, Fiddlemouse. We’ll take a look at those when we get back into the studio. Right now, we’re working through a backlog of lessons from Hanneke, Kevin and Patti…thanks for the suggestions!

C

sabrina
      Participant

I love Catharsis, it’s a great tune : my favorite version is Natalie Mc Master’s.

May i suggest another one ? Is it possible that someone record Jenny’s chickens ?

I saw in a previous post that Hanneke will propose a tutorial for “Blackberry festival footrace” : i’ll highly appreciate to have a step by step’s lesson for this one. I love her version of this tune.

S.

Viewing 24 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.