song progress & ramblings of a novice fiddler

Home Forums Fiddle Lesson Forum General Fiddle Forum Topics song progress & ramblings of a novice fiddler

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      RegisM
      Participant

Lately, I’ve had “Lucy’s fling” on my mind. I decided to try to learn it today somewhat successfully. That being said, I’ve been playing on a Karl Hofner violin which I absolutely love! It was an 800 dollar student violin that the local violin shop in Alexandria, VA (Brobst) had on hand and ready to play. It has a big sound and sounds absolutely stunning. That being said, recently I stopped by another music shop (Fox’s Music) just to check the store out.

I noticed a violin their that was decently priced (1300$) and the sound was much brighter than my Karl Hofner violin. The sound was a bit more complex, the G string was deep and sonorous, the D string was similar, the A was much brighter and focused, and the E string sounded pretty good as well.

On a whim I bought this violin and all I can say is WOW what a difference it made in my playing. I use steel strings and they are pretty responsive ( Helicore G,D,A and Pirastro No. 1 E string ), but i instantly noticed the boost in sound quality and how much easier it was to produce a sound with this violin. These are just my random thoughts.

“Lucy’s Fling” below is played on this violin. Keep in mind that i’m a novice and enjoy!

Roland White

Hi Regis,

Thanks for sharing your tune and new fiddle with us. Nothing like a new bright sounding fiddle to get us fiddlers fired up. Great job on your tune, and congrats on making a jump to a better instrument as I think it really helps to have a fiddle you like the sound of and a it will also help you continue improve. Now that you have a new fiddle you might want to try some different bows and see if you continue to get a better sound. Best regards and fiddle on! Roland

sabrina
      Participant

Hey Regis,

Nice sound and nice tune (i didn’t know this one). Thanks for sharing your progress with all of us (i hope i’ll be more confident in the future to do the same…).

I like the sound of your fiddle !

Kind regards,

S.

Casey Willis
      Keymaster

Hi there, Regis. Thanks for posting this. Good work, sir.

I’m no expert, but I’ve listened to quite a bit of Kevin’s playing, and I think you are doing some good bow swell work…at least in my opinion. Keep it up!

C

RegisM
      Participant

An update:

I’ve been really getting to know this fiddle. This weekend, i went to guitar center to pickup an XLR cable for my cheapy Presonus mic. Low and behold they had a sale on the “Blue Hummingbird” microphone, so I thought I’d pick one up. FYI, most of my skills have come from watching videos on this site and going to jams [mostly this site].

Here is the results:

“A Slide Set”

That’s lucy’s fling into an unknown slide. I just made it now. I think i’ll try a few reels now. Thanks Casey.

Roland White

Hi RIGISM,

Nice job on that recording and thanks for sharing it with our FV fiddlers. Its great to hear your FV lessons are going well and the proof is in playing In time in tune with a nice lilt keep up the good work. R

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.