some suggestions

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      nikpla
      Participant

Hi guys! I’m really enjoying the site. I would love a tuutorial for Wheels of the world and Sarah Delany and Colgrave sound. I think these tunes are great and belong to this site!

Roland White

Hi Nikpla, Thanks for your post and we are glad you like the site. I will pass on to Casey your tune suggestions for him when he returns to the studio. Thanks again for your input.
      Roland White Forum Moderator

Bill97a
      Participant

I don’t know if this qualifies but I would like to learn the “Skye Boat Song”, I got the basic melody, I know it was for the pipes but it is great on the violin.

Casey Willis
        Keymaster

Good suggestions, guys! Kevin Burke recorded Sarah Delaney for us a couple of weeks ago, so stay tuned for that one in the next month or so. I’ll add these other suggestions to the listing of potential lessons in future recording sessions. Thanks!!

delma
      Participant

Dear cassey just joined just started have problems with bowing on music can you if possible indicate up or down bowand slurs I just started can you please help me thanks

Casey Willis
        Keymaster

Hi Delma. Thanks for the suggestion. I intentionally left bowings out of the basic sheet music notation as I recommend that you develop your own bowings based on the licks you choose to play. Another reason is that I don’t always play each song with the same bowings as I teach and didn’t want folks to be confused if I did it two different ways. I do stress in a couple of lessons in places where I feel that bowing is critical…so look for those tips as you work your way through the lessons. It might be helpful to print out the sheet music and notate up/down bows and slurs in those cases. But I agree with the tips Roland provided in his comment. Down bow on the down beat isn’t a hard and fast rule, but really helps with groove on many American styles of fiddle. Keep up the great work!!

Roland White

Hi Delma, Roland Forum moderator here to let you know that Casey will reply to your question directly. In regards to bowing and what is the correct way I can say that every fiddler will have a way of bowing their tunes different than others. But what you want in your bowing is to have strong rhythm. One way to achieve this is to use a down bow on the 1 & 3 Down beat. This gives your fiddling a strong rhythmic pulse. Your bow may not always be on the down bow at the same time as the downbeat but if you can start your tunes that way it really helps the over all playing the tune. A quick tip, be sure and determine if your tunes have a Pick up Note to start and take those out till you understand where that first downbeat is. Later you can add back in the pick up notes. Thanks for joining the site, Have fun and check back in and let us know how its going.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.