Scottish Ornament Tutorial Chronological order?

Home Forums Fiddle Lesson Forum Scottish Ornament Tutorial Chronological order?

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      FiddleMouse
      Participant

Is there an order to learning the Scottish Fiddle Ornaments? What is the order in which I should study the tutorials in order to learn the ornament techniques most efficiently and with best technique? Could you all please number the video segments? Some of the techniques build on others, and I find following the ornament videos a bit unwieldy without numbering.

• This topic was modified 6 years, 8 months ago by FiddleMouse.
      Casey Willis
      Keymaster

Hi, FM.

Hanneke uses these ornamentations fairly frequently, with “The Scrunch” being the least used technique. I would start with The Cut, The Hammer On and The Flick as these are simpler and other techniques point back to these.

The Waterfall is more difficult and is based on the Flick, so learn the Flick before tackling the Waterfall. Same with The Roll and The Wiggle…these are more advanced, so learn them after the others.

I would recommend reviewing all of these technique videos and then referring back to them as you work through a tune Hanneke teaches…

I’ll think about numbering these…might be a good idea to reformat them into some suggested order of learning.

Hope that helps!

C

FiddleMouse
        Participant

Thanks. That’s a big help.

renjenn
      Participant

I love those grace note tutorials and the grooves as well. Very helpful. right now the Jig is in the list twice under grooves. is there supposed to be something else?
      Is a march another category to be covered?

Casey Willis
        Keymaster

Good catch, RenJenn. Should be fixed now. Good question on March…I’ll ask Hanneke if it’s worth covering the next time she’s in-studio. Thx!

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.