Scandinavian Fiddle?

Home Forums Fiddle Lesson Forum Scandinavian Fiddle?

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      khelms85
      Participant

I’ve been fascinated with what the Swedish and Nordic fiddlers have been doing these days. Is there any consideration being given to bringing in an accomplished fiddler from one of these traditions?

• This topic was modified 6 years ago by khelms85.
      Casey Willis
      Keymaster

Howdy, Khelms.

I admit I’m a bit under the rock when it comes to Scandinavian fiddlers…Hanneke has mentioned a few times that this area of the world has a strong fiddle community/style….

Who should I be listening to? Who are the drivers in this genera?? Any suggestions on artists I should consider for addition to the FV instruction team??

My top priority right now is finding a world class bluegrass fiddle instructor…after that, maybe a Cape Breton fiddler…after that, Scandinavian???

Open to input here ??

C

khelms85
      Participant

Casey,

Mikael Marin from Väsen

Ola Bäckström or Carina Normansson from Swåp

Anna Lindblad

Just some ideas worth checking into.

Casey Willis
        Keymaster

Thx…I’ll check those out. I’m completely unfamiliar with this style of music…but it’s certainly gaining popularity worldwide…??

Casey Willis
        Keymaster

Checked these artists out, khelms. Good suggestions.

There is so much good fiddle music out there I’ve never even heard…I’ll keep this style/these artists in mind going forward. Really enjoyed Mikael Marin/Väsen. Good stuff all round.

khelms85
      Participant

I think you’re in for a treat!

malton
      Participant

You could also listen to
      Fru Skaggerak, fruskagerrak.com/
      3 fiddlers from Sweden, Denmark and Norway
      Playing Friday April 20, in Toronto

Helene Blum & Harald Haugaard Band

I heard them play a great concert in a club in Copenhagen, a six piece band

• This reply was modified 6 years ago by malton.
        Casey Willis
        Keymaster

Hi, Malton.

Thanks for these suggestions. I have to say, Harald is the real deal. I wonder if the title “Port Orford” is in relation to Hanneke?? It’s the name of her home town out here in Oregon…one way or the other, that guy can both compose and play.

Anyhow, I really appreciate the links…I’m not sure when we’ll bring on an instructor in this genera, but I will consider any/all suggestions. Again, Harald really impressed me.

khelms85
      Participant

Malton,

Thank you for posting some links. I dig this stuff. I had only a very vague idea of what this type of music was all about. A couple of more adventurous musicians that show up at some of the sessions I go to introduced me to more tunes. I then started picking some up by ear and the more I learn the more I appreciate and understand the expression of this music. It’s great stuff.

Cheers!

Casey Willis
        Keymaster

Agreed, KHelms/Malton. Good thread, for sure.

I checked with Hanneke…she confirmed that Harald wrote “Port Orford” after playing a concert there with her a few years back…so there is a connection!!

Side note – Hanneke, Peter (my brother who does much of the guitar on this site), and I all played a concert in Port Orford back in 1992ish…I’ll have to see if a VHS exists of that concert…talk about a throwback. If I can find it, I might post a couple of excerpts…

Anyhow, really cool thread, and I appreciate being exposed to all these great players from different styles.

shellacdaddy78
        Participant

Hi there – I’m new to the site, so firstly, thanks for putting this together: 24 hours in and I’ve already made noticeable improvement to my playing.

Along the same lines as the creator of this thread, I was wondering if anyone could suggest some traditional Ukrainian fiddle tutorials, or potential instructors in that genre for this site. There are still strong ties to that community in my area of Canada, yet nobody to really learn the music from, aside from older recordings. Regardless, Thanks again, looking forward to tackling some of the stuff already here.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.