Prim Strings

Home Forums Fiddle Lesson Forum Prim Strings

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      uncleted
      Participant

I recently tried a set of Prim strings and I must say that tone wise to my ears they are as good as the higher priced sets. The G AND D string have sort of a rope like feel that takes some getting used to, but my finger tips are calloused from playing other instruments, so no big deal. The best surprise was going with the dominant wound E. I was having issues with a whistling e on a set of Reds and the wound e corrected that.

Thanks

Roland White

Hi Uncleted,

Thanks for the info on strings. I have a lot of friends that play them and they also last a long time. I didn’t know that Dominant made a wound e string, but I’m glad it solved your problem.

I know that trying different strings can lead to a better sounding fiddle so if your sound isn’t just right ask your fellow players what they have and it may save you time and $$$ in finding the right strings for your fiddle. Thanks for chiming in with that info and fiddle on.R

Casey Willis
      Keymaster

This is awesome to hear, Uncleted. You never know how an instrument will respond with varying brands of strings…those that work well on one box may be garbage on another. Glad to hear the whistling is fixed as well…??????

RegisM
      Participant

Are you using the medium or heavy tension? The heavy tension ones (orchestra) sound better than the medium tension ones in my opinion.

Casey Willis
        Keymaster

Hi, Regism. I’ve always used the medium gauge, but I might have to try the heavies…how do they compare?? Deeper? Richer? Brighter?

C

Casey Willis
        Keymaster

Just ordered some heavy gauge along with my normal mediums…I’ll let you know what I think!!

C

Patti Kusturok
        Participant

How did you end up liking the heavy gauge Prims? I’ve been using the mediums forever, but am curious.

Casey Willis
        Keymaster

For sure, Patti. Still have that set on, and they seem to have a bit more projection than the mediums…but I think I need to play some more of your tunes to make sure!!!

Remind me what strings you use?

Patti Kusturok
        Participant

I’ve used the Prim mediums for years. Before that I used Pirastro Chromcor but found that the G started to “wow” when I’d dig in a little bit on it. Nothing worse than a wowing G string…

uncleted
      Participant

It was the mediums, I think I might try a heavy set next time I change them. Thanks for the comment!

uncleted
      Participant

Regism,

How do the Heavy tension strings feel to the touch? Just curious.

UT

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.