Any suggestions to improve fiddlevideo.com???

Home Forums Fiddle Lesson Forum General Fiddle Forum Topics Any suggestions to improve fiddlevideo.com???

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Casey Willis
      Keymaster

Any constructive suggestions for enhancing the user eperience of this site?? We’ve just launched, and although we’ve done extensive testing, we probably missed a thing or two. Help us out with any tips on how we can improve the site…

• This topic was modified 9 years, 8 months ago by Casey Willis.
      James Peoples
      Participant

So far, I’m loving your site! Would be nice to have a gifting option without recurring billing. This would also boost your membership!

Casey Willis
        Keymaster

Great to hear, James! That is a great idea and I’ll work on getting that added. In the mean time, I could certainly process a gift membership. You can send me a private message or just use the contact form whenever you would like to go that route. No worries.

Also, We’re still working a few kinks out on this site, so please do pass along any issues or enhancements you can recommend.

And keep posting questions or comments here in the forum. That’s great! Thanks!

Dennis Cassel
      Participant

Hi Casey, I am not a fiddler and don’t play one on TV, but I know one! When Hanneke told me the site was up and running I checked it out. It is very well done and has a good look to it.

I listened to a lot of the tutorials and learned a lot, even though I am just a “listener” of fiddle music. However, that brings me to my suggestion. I have always known what fiddle tunes or fiddle players I like, but don’t always know why. In the tutorials you can see and hear a basic, relatively simple basic melody, come alive as various things are added. It is also impressive to see how many techniques are squeezed into a very few notes and all are necessary to make those notes so interesting to listen to.

So my suggestion is to make some tutorials for “listeners”. What makes a certain styles? What techniques make a particular tune so great? Sort of a fiddle music appreciation tutorial.

I don’t know how you would fit this into your business plan, but better educated listeners would only improve the overall desire for fiddle music. I know I sure appreciate and enjoying all the more what you guys do when I see the complexities of what you do.

Hope this site really takes off, I think it is a great idea.

Dennis Cassel

I hope this

Casey Willis
        Keymaster

Hi Dennis! Glad you stopped by the site. Also glad to read your suggestion. I like it. Sort of a general overview of different types of fiddling including what differentiates one from another.

I’ll consider baking something like this in as we go forward. The current focus is to get as much lesson content out there as soon as possible for fiddle students, but there will be a time when I’m looking for new ways to build the site out.

Good suggestion and take care!

Casey

Ron Davison
      Participant

Hello Casey, I am new to the site and I am very impressed with the quality of the instruction. My suggestion for improvement is to add a loop feature to the video so when I’m trying to learn an advanced technique or phrasing I can loop it and let it run so I can play along with just that section without putting my fiddle down and backing the video up. Hope that makes sense. Anyway love the site so far looking forward to more lessons.

Ron

Casey Willis
        Keymaster

Ron,

Great suggestion. I researched this before launching the site as I absolutely agree that this would be a helpful feature. Unfortunately, the technology hasn’t matured enough to be “plug and play” and would require me to get some custom javascript code written. BUT, I am keeping my eye on this capability and as soon as it is available and stable in a plug and play hosted video solution, I will start switching the site over. I’ve also requested that Vimeo, who hosts my videos, add this capability…we’ll see if they have enough demand to implement it…

Couldn’t agree more with this suggestion. Thanks!

Casey

Mike Holgate
      Participant

Hi Casey – it is a lovely site and I wish you guys all the best for the future. I am (like many others) very busy with other parts of my life so practice/learning time can be very sporadic. You have a monthly subscription but would it be worth considering a second option? i.e. A series of lessons that could be bought outside of the monthly subscription for a one off fee ( like buying a book or DVD just available online?). All the best – Mike

Casey Willis
        Keymaster

You bet, Mike. DVD lessons which will include all of the components of the on-line lessons (sheet music, guitar tracks, performance/basic melody/advanced melody lessons) will be offered in the future. I know that this will be a good option for some folks. Hopefully late 2015…stay tuned!

I have just started and am working on two of the Scottish tunes with Hanneke. I am finding the techniques to make the tunes sound authentic to be great. What would be nice would be a complete run-through at the end of each video (easy and advanced) of the A and B sections as an entire song. I know that I can go back to the beginning of the video to hear (and play along), but it would be nice to have it at the end of the video, as well. Thanks!

Casey Willis
        Keymaster

You bet, Charlotte. For some of the songs, we have done that. Your comment is a great reminder to make sure to give the whole run through at the end of the video….kind of to tie everything down. Going forward, that’s the way we’ll be sure to do it. Thanks!

Casey

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.