Numbness and tingling

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      BradTaylor
      Participant

After I play for a bit (say 30-45 minutes) I find that I often experience numbness and tingling in my right hand (bow hand). I’ll often push through the song with this sensation, which makes playing both difficult and unpleasant. When I stop and shake my hand out the numbness/tingling goes away. I sense that either I have tension in my shoulder or wrist causing a nerve to be pinched or I’m holding my breath leading to a decrease in oxygen to my hand. Anyone else have this issue? Any advice?

Brad

margaret leahy
      Participant

Hi Brad,

I have the same thing but in both hands. I hate it! I do a LOT of stretching and exercises for it that help a LITTLE but it doesn’t go away. My next step might be physical therapy but I’d rather spend the time practicing! 😁

Margaret

George Bretz
      Participant

You may want to consult a physician. I had the same, worsening, symptoms. Became worse over a few years.
      Went to my doctor who sent me to a surgeon. I had carpel tunnel release surgery on both hands.
      What a relief! My symptoms resolved immediately.

George Bretz
      Participant

You may want to consult a physician. I had the same, worsening, symptoms. Became worse over a few years.
      Went to my doctor who sent me to a surgeon. I had carpel tunnel release surgery on both hands.
      What a relief! My symptoms resolved immediately.

Annette Luttermann
        Participant

I have also had carpel tunnel release surgery in both hands and it has changed my life. I can now drive, ride a bike, ski and play the fiddle without numb hands!

Assessment by an experienced physician is of course the first step since there are other issues that can cause numbness in the hands.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.