Niel Gow's Lament for the Death of his second wife

Home Forums Fiddle Lesson Forum Lessons in Production – Fiddle Tune Requests Niel Gow's Lament for the Death of his second wife

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      dpotter2
      Participant

Love the tutorial here. Very well structured with good support materials.
      One tune I would enjoy learning is “Niel Gow’s Lament for the Death of his second wife”.

It’s a beautiful tune.

Donald

Roland White

HI Donald, Thanks for the tune suggestion we will pass that on to the instructors. I’ve heard that tune and it is indeed a lovely tune. Conspiracy theory is Neil Gow’s 2nd wife was a Violin. Thanks for posting on the forum. Roland

Casey Willis
      Keymaster

Thanks for the suggestion, Donald. Kevin is scheduled to be in the studio in early April, but I don’t have Hanneke headed that way yet this year. And this seems like it would be more of a Scottish tune, yes?

Roland White

Yes Casey, Neil Gow is a well know Scottish Fiddler and composer. Wrote a lot of Strathspeys his music is in many Scottish Collections. Its a very beautiful tune too.

Pat Willey
      Participant

Casey,

Gow’s “Lament for the Death of His Second Wife” is a very nice tune . I stumbled upon it a few years ago in Hunter’s “The Fiddle Music of Scotland”, a nice book containing 365 tunes (is there a Scottish equivalent to Vi Wickam?). If you do make a lesson of this tune, is there any chance you could do a lesson in harmony to accompany it?

Roland, I hear some tour guide in Blair Castle is getting a lot of mileage from his ‘story’ about Neil’s ‘second wife’. I think the wives of some fiddlers consider themselves to be the ‘second wife’ 🙂

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.