New Video Quality Settings

Home Forums Fiddle Lesson Forum New Video Quality Settings

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Casey Willis
      Keymaster

Hi FV members. We recently made some changes to our video editing and rendering settings. As technology changes, so do we!

The new videos appear crisp and play on all devices for us…but before we start down this path with a bunch of new lessons, it would be great if a few members could give us some feedback.

Do the new videos play for you on your various devices? If not, what device/OS?
      Are they crisper/higher definition as compared to the old settings?
      Do you experience any stutter in playback or audio sync issues?

You can see the new video format in Hanneke’s most recent lesson: Miss Lyall’s Strathspey.

To compare, here is a lesson using the old settings: For Reals (Jig).

Thoughts, folks??

Andrea_S
      Participant

Hi Casey. Desktop PC, running Chrome. Both look great and audio is excellent on both for me. New video maybe a bit crisper but I can’t see a huge difference. As an aside – I like the Fiddlevideo intro (the one that’s on most of the videos) but I was getting a bit tired of it, so thanks for leaving it out sometimes. Saves me having to jump to 15 seconds in 😉

Loving the project, thanks!

Casey Willis
        Keymaster

Thanks for the feedback, Andrea. Yeah – I like the intro but it sure gets repetitive…aside from a few videos currently out for review, new lessons published won’t have that clip up-front.

At some point, I’ll have the time to go back and remaster all of the content produced to-date!!

Ian
        Participant

I know this is somewhat derailing the thread, but as a newcomer here, I’d like to chime in with a thank you on skipping the intro for the tutorial videos, since I currently just scrub by default to 0:15s 🙂 I would also request the ending theme be delayed or turned down a bit; the cello and Hanneke are amazing, but it’s pretty distracting to be trying to learn a tune by ear and have that musical non sequitur come in before the teacher has even put the bow down. It makes perfect sense for the non-subscriber sample video compilation, though.

Ian
      Participant

Newer video looks great from both Win10/Mac10.10, and you can really see the higher definition when her bow gets moving. No sync issues that I’ve seen so far!

Casey Willis
      Keymaster

Thanks for chiming in, IANM. Yeah, in hindsight, the bumper is best saved for the public side of the site vs paid member content. We’ll continue down the path of removing this component for any paid content and have future plans to work backwards through material already published.

Also good to hear your experience regarding definition. We’re still tweaking some settings, so let us know if you have any feedback on the next few tunes we publish…Miss Lyall’s Reel, Morrison’s Jig, Toss the Feathers (3), Keep It Up, and Citadel Waltz are in the review pipeline.

Rob Stevenson
      Participant

Hi Casey
      I don’t know if this has anything to do with the mew settings but on Miss Lyalls, I’m able to play the performance and the advanced lesson but the basic tutorial is consistently getting an html5 error consistently — and this all on the same device, same wifi session. I’ve tried to quit and relaunch the browser (safari) but it’s the same result. This is an older iPad with iOS 8.3 (I know, but it’s an older device). Like I said, the other two videos work. I’ve just tried the basic on an iPhone with a newer OS and that plays correctly there.

Casey Willis
        Keymaster

Good feedback, Rob. I’ll check that out on an ipad…I think they were all rendered out using the same settings, but I’ll have to look.

Miss Lyall’s Reel has slightly different settings from the Strathspey lesson…do these lessons play for you?

I think we’re finally getting the video hardware/software upgrade dialed in!!

Patrick
      Participant

I have just joined fiddlevideo and am using Windows 10. I find the performance videos appear to play in sync but the basic and advanced tutorials that follow get increasingly out of sync as the video progresses.

Casey Willis
        Keymaster

Hi, Patrick, and welcome!

Do you experience the above issue on the newer lessons (the ones on the first “All Lessons” page)? I wonder if it’s related to codecs used on some of the older lessons. Also, are you using Chome on a desktop/laptop device? Or a mobile device?

I’m happy to re-render specific videos…feel free to just email me at info@fiddlevideo.com.

C

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.