Mississippi Waltz

Home Forums Fiddle Lesson Forum Mississippi Waltz

Tagged: 

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author
      SailorsFiddle
      Participant

I would like to see a listen of the Bill Monroe, Kenny Baker tune.

Roland White

Hi Sailors Fiddle,

As you know they recorded a lot of tunes, so do you have a title to forward to Casey FV webmaster?

Let us know what that tune is and it may make the Bluegrass tune list when Casey has a Bluegrass instructor on the site. Best regards and Fiddle On. Roland

SailorsFiddle
        Participant

Thank you, here is the link with Michael Cleveland playing Mississippi Waltz – YouTube
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9Hypnwoiak
        Mississippi Waltz – Bill Junior and the Montana Rangers with Michael Cleveland – Duration: 3:18. … Mississippi Chris Sharp 12,990 views. 2:44.g and this also a Kenny Baker tune.

Casey Willis
      Keymaster

Hi there…I’m not familiar with Mississippi Waltz…do you have a youtube or other link, Sailors? Thanks!

SailorsFiddle
      Participant

Mississippi Waltz – YouTube
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9Hypnwoiak
      Mississippi Waltz – Bill Junior and the Montana Rangers with Michael Cleveland – Duration: 3:18. … Mississippi Chris Sharp 12,990 views. 2:44.

Casey Willis
      Keymaster

Nice tune, Sailor. I didn’t see Mike Cleveland playing it…but Mr Compton. Is there another link with Mikey’s version? I was actually chatting with Mr. Cleveland last night/this morning about the project.

I’ll add this one to my request list for whenever I get back into the studio, Sailor. It will be a while, I’m sure.

If Mike joins the project in the future, I’ll ask if he wants to cut this one. Good tune. Thx for sharing.

SailorsFiddle
      Participant

Thank you, I appreciate the response. I have another piece written and performed by Randy Howard, The Golden Fiddle Waltz. I’ve been picking my way through it but I good use some guidance. Be well.

Randy Howard – Golden Fiddle Waltz – YouTube
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnT067BM-bA

Casey Willis
        Keymaster

Now you’re talking, Sailor. I actually broke the fiddle out the other day to play a few notes on that one myself…have you seen John L’s version? What a great tune.

It is definitely on my list to teach someday in the future….once I clear my editing plate (and learn the tune). Great double stops. Randy could write them, for sure.

SailorsFiddle
      Participant

I’m looking for Old Time Fiddle Waltz, it has an Irish Lilt to it, any suggestions?

Roland White

Hi Sailor,
      That Golden Fiddle Waltz is one of my favs, from Randy Howard. just a beautiful piece of music. As for a waltz with an Irish feel I can name a few, but for starters and a great fiddle sounding waltz is Country Waltz played by Patti Kustorok here on FV. Casey also has some great waltz tunes. He has a beautiful simple and advanced version of Ashoken Farewell so there are two worth exploring.

As for Irish Waltz’s you could get a good samples on this site I just found that has tunes samples and notation.
      https://www.irishtune.info/session/waltzes.php

Some favs of mine are Josephines, Far Away, Margarets Waltz. The lists goes on.
      Fiddle on Sailor. Roland

• This reply was modified 6 years, 10 months ago by Roland White.
      SailorsFiddle
      Participant

Hi, thanks for the response, here is the fiddle tune I was talking about. Old Time Fiddle Waltz – YouTube
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRj9Y_XciJM

SailorsFiddle
      Participant

The Old Time Fiddle Waltz is better known as the Southern Soldier Boy,

SailorsFiddle
      Participant

Good evening, I’m looking the sheet music for Cairo Waltz, I came across the Willis Brothers playing it.

EO]
      Cairo Waltz – The Willis Brothers – YouTube

2:37
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lra_yOmxSLY

Casey Willis
        Keymaster

Hi, Sailor. Yeah – that’s a great tune, isn’t it? Peter (my brother) showed it to me when he was in the FV studios to cut guitar for this project.

I don’t currently have sheet music for it…but I really like the tune and think I should teach a full lesson on it.

The bad/good news (depending on how you look at it) is I still have around 90 full lessons yet to produce for the other teachers on this site. That’s not to say that I won’t cut a lesson on this before clearing that full pipeline, but I do know it’s going to be a while before I start recording my own lessons again. Specifically, I’d like to get Andre Brunet’s first 20 or so lessons published and officially launch him as a FV instructor before I start in on recording again. Hoping that will happen later this year.

So I’m with you…this is definitely on the list to reach. I’ll pull together sheet music at that time. It’s too good of a tune to not teach!!

Hopefully that at least gives you something to look forward to.

C

SailorsFiddle
      Participant

Thank you for the response on Cairo Waltz, I’ll look forward to it being available.
      What key is it in.

thank you, Be well1!

Casey Willis
      Keymaster

You bet. Peter first played it for me in G, but I liked it in A as well, so we play it in both keys in the video you posted.

SailorsFiddle
      Participant

Thank you, that will give a starting point. Looking forward to yours.

Be well!

Roland White

Hi Casey and Sailor,

Thanks for posting that old time waltz. now that I’ve heard I can tell you that is an Irish Waltz very well known and a very popular tune “The Star of the County Down.” Fun to play and to embellish so take it away thats a great tune.
      Play on, Sir, Roland

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.