Mike Block's "Breaking from Classical Music"

Home Forums Fiddle Lesson Forum Mike Block's "Breaking from Classical Music"

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      sabrina
      Participant

Hi everyone,

I just found a very interesting video on YT from very talented multi-styles cellist, Mike Block, Hanneke’s husband, who gave a talk at Depauw School of Music (TALK21). I wanted to share with you so here it is.

Here’s the link : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcqup7XcB-g

He explains how he stepped back from his classical influence he learned at the Conservatory’s he attented when he was learning how to play Cello, especially the first time he attended a fiddle camp.
      He says that different styles are like different languages and you have to embrace those languages because the more you do, the more you’ll learn as an artist. Despite the critics, despite the bad voices you’ll here.

Being curious, trying, exploring and basically, making mistakes is how you learn….

I watched a lot of videos from Mike’s and even though i don’t know cello, i see the wonderful musician he is and, maybe more important, the great human being with a lot of sensibility. So down to earth, great mentality, open-minded guy.

And what he said in the video he posted got a big “resonance” with me because, in France, Classical music still the reference when you do music. So coming and say that you like fiddling music (or whatever trad’ style) is like “yeah right…good for you”…

So hearing Mike’s talk gave me strenght !!!

Happy fiddling everybody !

Kind regards,

S.

Roland White

HI Sabrina,

Very nice post and wonderful YT clip of Mike Block. Thanks for posting. I would only add that all music is best played by the heart no matter what the style, so I completely agree with Mike that expanding your interest in different styles is a good thing to expanding your musical knowledge and experience.

A lot of my fav players are like this and i think it adds to their overall musicality to put there heart into their music no matter what it is they are playing.

Great Post Sabrina, thanks for sharing and fiddle onward, Roland

Casey Willis
      Keymaster

Hi, Sabrina.

Thanks for those positive comments regarding Mike. I can tell you that he really is a great guy. Thx for sharing this link…I’d not heard this talk, and it’s great.

Fiddle on!

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.