Kevin Burke Lesson Requests – New Recording Session

Home Forums Fiddle Lesson Forum Lessons in Production – Fiddle Tune Requests Kevin Burke Lesson Requests – New Recording Session

Viewing 21 reply threads
  • Author
      Casey Willis
      Keymaster

Howdy FV members. Mr. Kevin Burke will be back in the Fiddlevideo Studios here in a couple of weeks. I will pull together a request list based on the one-off suggestions which have trickled in since his last session. But I also thought it would be a good thing to have one thread where current members could make tune lesson suggestions…so please post away!

And for those folks who know that we still have a bunch of Kevin’s lessons to publish from his last session, no worries…those are in the pipeline, and this just means more great lessons to be published in the months/years to come!!

Cheers!

C

alanboyce
      Participant

Hey Casey,

I’m super excited for more videos. My suggestions are Glen of Aherlow and Galway Bay/Drunken Sailor

Casey Willis
        Keymaster

Hi, Alan.

Good news on the first one…it’s also know as Lafferty’s Reel, and Kevin already taught it in his last recording session. I will bump it up the list to produce, but it will be a little bit.

Galway Bay is another common request…hopefully he’ll cut it this time.

Good suggestions, all.

alanboyce
        Participant

Thanks Casey!

Casey Willis
        Keymaster

Hi, Alan. Here you are, sir!

Lafferty’s Reel

Oliver
      Participant

Hi Casey,

Great news! Couple of suggestions: ‘The Bucks of Oranmore’ and ‘The Galway Rambler’.

Cheers,

Oliver

olivianora
      Participant

It would be really cool to hear Kevin Burke’s version of Blackberry Blossom.

Roland White

Hi Olivianora,

Thanks for the tune suggestion. Blackberry Blossom is a well known Bluegrass tune here in America and I wouldn’t doubt that a earlier version first appeared in Celtic Music, although I have only heard it played Celtic style by one
        Irish fiddler, Eileen Eivers who did a beautiful lilting rendition with John Waylon.

Your request will be passed on to Casey and Kevin and thank you for chiming in on the forum. Happy Fiddling! Roland

Casey Willis
      Keymaster

OK, folks. Kevin just provided the below list of tunes he thought of for next week’s sessions…any votes on these?

I’m still pulling together other tune suggestions for him to review, but I figured I’d post this to see if anyone saw something that they wanted to advocate for…

Hornpipes
      The Long Acre
      “Cuz” Teahan’s

Reels
      The Boys of Malin
      John Stenson’s 1
      John Stenson’s 2
      The Boys of Ballisodare
      The Gooseberry Bush
      The Galway Rambler
      The Roscommon Reel
      The High Reel
      Fred Finn’s
      Sailing nto Walpole’s Marsh
      The Maid Behind the Bar
      DUke of Leinster
      The House of Hammill
      Raheen Medley (3 Reels)
      McDermott’s Reel
      Trip to Durrow
      The Star of Munster
      Lucy Campbell
      The Jolly Tinker

Jigs
      Palm Sunday
      The Burnt Old Man
      Shores of Lough Gowna
      Contentment is Wealth
      Stan Chapman’s
      Swedish Jig
      The Battering Ram
      The Kilfenora Jig

Others
      O’Carolan’s Concerto
      Mrs Kenny’s Waltz

alanboyce
      Participant

Hi Casey,

I’d be happy with absolutely anything Kevin wants to teach. That said, I’m a +1 on Sailing into Walpole’s Marsh and Shores of Lough Gowna

Oliver
      Participant

Thumbs up for ‘The Galway Rambler’. Also, from that list, would love to see ‘Contentment is Wealth’.

Looking forward to it.

malton
      Participant

Great news,
      here’s a few votes,
      The hornpipes yes!
      The Boys of Ballisodare
      The Galway Rambler
      The Roscommon Reel
      The High Reel
      Fred Finn’s
      The Jolly Tinker
      Stan Chapman’s
      Swedish Jig
      The Battering Ram
      The Kilfenora Jig

Others
      O’Carolan’s Concerto
      Mrs Kenny’s Waltz
      O’Carolan’s Concerto
      Mrs Kenny’s Waltz

Casey Willis
      Keymaster

Ok, folks. Thanks much for the input!

I’ll pass this feedback over to Kevin. We’re all set to start cutting tracks tomorrow evening through Sunday.

I’ll post the final list of lessons recorded in this thread once we wrap.

Cheers!!

C

Casey Willis
      Keymaster

As promised, here is the update with the listing of tunes recorded this weekend by Kevin Burke. It will be a while before production is complete on these, but it’s nice to have a backlog of good tunes to offer going forward. Keep your eyes out…here are the tunes from this weekend’s session:

The Old Torn Petticoat
      Stack of Barley
      Garret Barry’s Jig
      The Mason’s Apron
      The White Petticoat
      Jenny’s Chickens
      Bonnie Kate
      The Maids of Mitchelstown
      King of the Fairies
      Roll out the Barrel
      Up in the Air (Jig)
      The Star of Munster Am
      The Star of Munster Gm
      The Shores of Lough Gowna
      Contentment is Wealth
      The Burnt Old Man (The Campbells are Coming)
      The Maid Behind the Bar
      The Galway Rambler
      The Boys of Malin
      John Stenson’s 1
      John Stenson’s 2
      Cuz Teahan’s
      The Long Acre

Thanks!
      C

Oliver
        Participant

Great list, and Kevin managed to slip in ‘king of the fairies’ too. Looking forward to it Casey.

Roland White

Hi Casey, Sounds like productive recording weekend with Kevin. Thanks for posting the tune list. Lots of great tunes to look forward to. Thanks for all your work keeping fresh tunes coming to FV. I first heard some of these tunes many years ago in Portland when Kevin first appeared in the Pacific NW. Lots to look forward to here. Thanks Casey. R

shepsj
      Participant

Hi Casey,
      I would like to suggest Kevin do both,

“Pigeon on the Gate” and
      “The Glen of Aherlow” (Lafferty’s)
      this would complete the set with “The Morning Dew” (Which I’ve finally learnt from your site,thanks)

I saw him many years ago in Newtown,Wales, perform this set as a solo when he performed as “The Celtic Fiddle Festival” That’s when I decided at the age of 45 that I had to play the fiddle,so to be able to tackle the other two would be great.

Love the site,
      Many thanks

shepsj

Casey Willis
        Keymaster

Hi, Shepsj. Thanks for chiming in. We wrapped Kevin’s recording session up on Sunday, so these suggestions are just a day late, I fear. However…

Is the Pigeon on the Gate tune this one? Or is it a different tune? I think I heard that there are multiple versions of the tune, so the one Hanneke taught might not be the one you are after. I figured I’d mention it just in case it’s the right tune…

As far as the other tune, good news…Kevin recorded Lafferty’s Reel for this project back in March. That lesson is still on the production docket with several tunes ahead, so it will be a bit. But at least you know it’s coming to the site in the future.

Cheers!

Casey

Casey Willis
        Keymaster

Hi, ShepSJ…

Lafferty’s Reel

Cheers!!

C

Anonymous
      Inactive

May be a bit late. I would be very happy if Kevin taught the Eavesdropper. Thank you for this great place of learning!

Casey Willis
        Keymaster

Hi, Lassoayr. Yeah, Kevin is no longer in the studio, but he seems to turn up like a bad apple round these parts so I bet he’ll be back to record later this year or in 2019. I’ll add that tune to his running request list, and he might choose to record it next time. Thanks for the suggestion!

All the best!!

C

Brodick1
      Participant

Hi Casey, just to say how wonderful it is to see Kevin Burke’s new lessons appearing. Have been soooo looking forward to them. A huge thanks for all the hard work that goes in to producing these videos. Cheers

Casey Willis
        Keymaster

You bet, B. Thx much for the kind words. Lots of work goes in, but boy it’s fun to get them out there!

More from Andre might be around the corner…then I need to get going on Niall’s stuff…then Hanneke’s session…not enough time!!

Cheers!

C

shepsj
      Participant

Hi Casey,
      Thanks for a great lesson on lafferty’s Reel.
      It looks like the pipe line is very full,however I will still request that at some point it would be great to have Kevin do Tuttle’s Reel as done on his “In Good Company” CD.
      Here’s hoping,

Steve

Casey Willis
        Keymaster

Thanks, Steve. I get a chuckle every time I hear him finish teaching the advanced melody for Lafferty’s…that guy is a bundle of fun!

Good news on Tuttle’s – it’s already recorded…I’ll bump it up his production list.

??

C

Casey Willis
        Keymaster

Just realized I was thinking about the ending of The Long Acre Adv lesson, not Lafferty’s, Steve. I had to check out that video of Kevin singing. I’ll ask him if he remembers that session…

shepsj
      Participant

Thanks Casey,that’s fantastic news,made my day,

Steve

PS If you get a moment you might enjoy this clip of Kevin singing,

Casey Willis
        Keymaster

And this made mine, Steve. ??

Casey Willis
        Keymaster

I shared this with Kevin and he said “A while back alright – probably 40 yrs or more!”

C

Ringlets
        Participant

That was a delight, Steve. Thanks for sharing the video! 😀

telln
      Participant

I had the great good fortune of sitting in on a group lesson given by Kevin yesterday at Urbana, Il. I am an older (70) student and learning, but it comes slowly. His laid back manner and great sense of humor put me at ease so, not only did I enjoy just the opportunity to be there and watch him play, I also was able to take more away from the lesson than I ever imagined I would.
      Thanks again, Kevin
      Pam Kaiser

Casey Willis
        Keymaster

Awesome, Pam. I’m sure you told him in person, but I’ll pass these comments on to Kevin.

Roland White

Hi Telln,

Great to hear you were able to see Master Kevin in person. He is truly delightful & is also a master of the gift of gab. We were lucky to have him visit Bend Oregon about 10 years ago and we really enjoyed the workshop and stories. Also great to hear you’re enjoying music in your senior years, So fiddling on Sir!. Best Roland

Anonymous
      Inactive

From Sara and Armin
      Can we get Kevin to teach us
      Tarbolton
      jenny welcomes charlie
      Winnie Hayes
      thanks

Casey Willis
        Keymaster

Hi, Sara & Armin. I’ll add these to the list for his next lesson…which might be later this year. He may choose to record one or more of them. Thanks for the suggestions. Keep up the great fiddling, Sara!!

C

telln
      Participant

While you are adding tunes to the list for possible lessons by Kevin, Could you add “Tom Morrisons “? It’s what he plays with Beare Island Reel in the Portland album?

Casey Willis
        Keymaster

Thanks, Telln. Added to the running list…

Caseyrd
      Participant

If you are still collecting possible suggestions: Itzikel. It’s very beautiful, I notice I hold my breath sometimes while listening to it.

Casey Willis
        Keymaster

Hi, CaseyRD.

I’ll add this to the list of possible tunes for Kevin’s next session. Thanks!!

tndel
      Participant

I would love to hear a lesson for Golden Fiddle Waltz by Randy Howard if your still taking suggestions.

Casey Willis
        Keymaster

Hi, TN.

Great tune. I’ve been working on that one and would love to cut a lesson in the next year or so…stay tuned.

Ringlets
      Participant

Any or all of the tunes in the Tarbolton set?

The Tarbolton
      Longford Collector
      Sailor’s Bonnet

Thank you, Casey, for all you do!

Casey Willis
        Keymaster

Consider them added to the running request list, Ringlets. Thx for the kind words!!

Viewing 21 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.