Kevin Burke Irish Fiddle Lessons

Home Forums Fiddle Lesson Forum General Fiddle Forum Topics Kevin Burke Irish Fiddle Lessons

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      Casey Willis
      Keymaster

The first round of Kevin’s lessons are now available. Check them out! And, the good news is that Mr. Kevin will be back in the studio in a few days to record his second round of lessons…so stay tuned for those!!

https://www.fiddlevideo.com/category/kevin-burke/

Oh, and any suggestions for tunes to be taught are welcome!

Kim Flannagan
      Participant

Great set of tunes from Kevin, thank you! I have a request for the next batch – Galway Bay!

Casey Willis
        Keymaster

That’s great, Kim. I’m glad you’re as excited as we are. I’ll add Galway Bay to the list Kevin has to work from…He’s making the final determinations on the next round of tunes right now. Thanks!!

Casey Willis
        Keymaster

Hi again, Kim. Kevin has written out sheet music for Galway Bay…we have a compressed schedule this session, but hope to get it recorded. Thanks!!

Roland White

Hi Casey and Kim This is so Exciting to have Kevin Burke on your Fiddlevideo site. I have loved his playing for most of my fiddling life. Looking forward to all the tunes.

Rob Stevenson
      Participant

I was very excited to hear about Kevin Burke’s lessons a couple of weeks ago when it was announced and I’ve already listened/worked on Cliffs of Moher (which I have been playing a little) and it’s great — I really like the different ways of playing bits of the tune — ornaments/non-ornaments — Burke presents and am looking forward to adding the other tunes to my repertoire.

Casey Willis
        Keymaster

Awesome, Rob! Cliffs is a great tune. And I agree, Kevin has such a laid back, authentic kind of teaching style…backed up with some serious technique!!

Burkerules
      Participant

I would love to have Mr. Burke add Dinney Delaney’s to his lessons. He brings a nice flare to it.

Casey Willis
        Keymaster

Sounds like a winner, #Burkerules….I’ll add it to the list we have going for the next time he’s in studio. I’m also currently editing 16 more lesson modules Kevin recorded in his last session, so stay tuned for those!!!

Roland White

Hi Burkerules, Roland White Forum Moderator checking in. I had not heard that tune so I checked it out on YouTube and found this link of a fine player in a medley of tunes starting with Dinny’s. Check it she is a good solid player. The tune has that nice Irish drive and style to it. Thanks for checking in on FV forum.
        Here is the link.

• This reply was modified 8 years, 3 months ago by Roland White.
      Kristopher Zentner
      Participant

Looks like the The Promenade basic melody tutorial actually has the advanced tutorial on it. Could someone have a look?

Casey Willis
      Keymaster

Hi, Kristopher. Thanks! Can’t believe that’s been out there! Good find, sir. I fixed it.

Edward Ebel
      Participant

Love the Kevin Burke tunes. I have a question about the open string roll, as (sort of) demonstrated on The Orphan advanced lesson around 8:35. I would love a little mini tutorial just on that figure. Looks like an open e followed quickly by g and a and then back to e. Apparently others on Fiddlerman.com have asked about it and have not really received a satisfactory reply (except maybe from me when I mentioned the above video.)

Thanks for any help, and great site, BTW.

v/r

Casey Willis
        Keymaster

You bet, Edward. Kevin anticipated folks wanting an in-depth breakdown of the different types of rolls in Irish music. We’ve created a separate lesson that discusses each type of roll he plays along with some other Trad Irish gracenotes. Kevin takes the time to write out as well as demonstrate each technique. I hope that gets you pointed in the right direction, sir!

You can check the lesson out here.

Thanks for the kind words regarding the site as well as your business!

Edward Ebel
        Participant

Thanks for the direction to that lesson, Casey. One of the best tutorials yet for grace notes…His description of the string “rattling” between the fingers of the left hand is exactly the conclusion I came to a few months back. Good to have that “affirmation” so to speak. Irish and Scottish trad music is like a bakery: only as good as the rolls. 🙂

Cheers

Casey Willis
        Keymaster

Awesome, Edward. Glad you found the lesson informative. And I may steal that line!

Edward Ebel
        Participant

🙂 You’re welcome to use it…maybe give me an “…as Ned Rebel (old stage name) says…” or not…:-)

Casey Willis
        Keymaster

??

Roland White

Hey Edward and Casey nice thread on the Kevin Burke tutorials. Kevin to me has the ultimate taste in the use of ornaments and the sparingly use of them is equally as important as the intricate parts. A true master of his craft. And nice to hear you enjoy the site. Best regards to both of you.

• This reply was modified 8 years, 2 months ago by Roland White.
      DanRoseberry
      Participant

I too am so excited and blessed to have Kevin for an instructor. And that he is! He is not only an awesome Irish fiddler, but he has a real gift for teaching as well! He goes at just the right pace for me and I have been able to pick up several of his easier tunes, as I am not ready for the advanced stuff quite yet. I was actually able to do a solo set for a small group of people recently. Please tell Kevin that my Butterfly was flying all over the room and they were loving it!

Roland White

Hi Dan, Well that is great news as its always fun to play for our friends and fellow players once we get a tune dialed in. Keep up the good work and I’m sure you will have more to play before long and the advanced tunes will soon be in your reach. Kevin is an awesome teacher and we are glad to hear that you are getting the most out of FV dot com. Check back in with us and give us another update when you reach a new milestone. Best regards, Roland White Forum Moderator.

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.