How to find a Practice Partner?

Home Forums Fiddle Lesson Forum General Fiddle Forum Topics How to find a Practice Partner?

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      awdemers
      Participant

Hey All! I am new to Fiddlevideo.com, and definitely new to the fiddle…about 9 months into playing after decades of not playing any instruments at all. Right now, my focus is on ITM. I have an excellent out-of-town instructor with whom I primarily Skype, with occasional face-to-face lessons. I find I’ve gone from not wanting to play in front of anyone else EVER to wishing I could find other adult learners like myself to play with. Either my location is not particularly “rich” in this music genre, or I’m not looking in the right places. Yes, I’ve checked out sessions at local pubs, the best one nearby is excellent and not “slow,” and not particularly open. A local liberal arts college has an excellent music school, emphasis on classical/jazz. Even my strings shop is at a loss for ideas. Since so many of us are playing in isolation now with the internet resources that are available, any thoughts out there on how I can find some live humans to interact with?

RegisM
      Participant

Wish you were in VA. I’ve been playing the fiddle for about 2 years and though my teacher is amazing (and practices with me often), oft times I find myself wishing I had someone to practice with.

Casey Willis
        Keymaster

Hi AW and Regis. It sounds like you are looking in the right places…just no luck! Are there any local or regional associations which coordinate sessions in your area? Usually there are a few options out there. You might try contacting a well-known national organization and asking for contacts in your area.

But I can relate – I used to drive for an hour or two when I was younger just to play with similar musicians. Being able to play with other musicians is not a good thing…it’s a GREAT thing! Good luck to you both!!

awdemers
      Participant

Thanks, Regis and Casey for the replies. I am in FL, by the way, still a bit of a drive to VA. i will try the FL Fiddler’s Association and see if they can help!

Roland White

Hi AW and Regis, Roland White Forum moderator here. I’ve experienced the same thing in my time searching for players of similar abilities to play with. Like Casey I have driven a long way to get into a session. I think you’re on the right track by checking in with the Fl Fiddlers. There are other organizations that seem to cross over into fiddle playing that being the Bluegrass and Oldtime music players. Even when I wasn’t up to speed to play with some of the sessions listening and observing is one of the best ways to improve, especially if you’re learning buy ear. There is also a site called Pegram Website where videos of other jams are posted at learning speeds and in common tunes that are popular for newer fiddlers. Here is the link check it out and let us know how its going. I love fiddling and once it gets in your blood it never goes away. Here’s the link, Give it a try.
      http://pegramjam.com/

awdemers
      Participant

Hey Roland, thanks so much for the thoughtful reply. I briefly checked out and definitely will return to the Pegram Website, what an amazing resource! Thanks so much for that lead…In the meantime, I’ve signed up for a couple of fiddle camps this summer and am looking forward to playing with others there. Thanks again for your response, I really appreciate it.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.