Hanneke Tune Requests – New Session

Home Forums Fiddle Lesson Forum Lessons in Production – Fiddle Tune Requests Hanneke Tune Requests – New Session

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      Casey Willis
      Keymaster

Yep, I know we have a HUGE backlog of lessons recorded but not yet produced (including a few from Hanneke)…but that’s not holding us back from another recording session with the amazing Mrs. Cassel!!

Hanneke will be in the Fiddlevideo.com studios March 5-7.

We’ve received a bunch of requests in various forum posts/emails/etc since her last recording session…I will pull those requests together and get that list in front of H before her session. My thoughts are to have her concentrate on some of her originals as opposed to Trad Scottish tunes for this session…

If there’s a tune you really want taught on this site, please feel free to post suggestions in this thread for Hanneke….

And I REALLY look forward to producing all of the lessons we have in our pipeline, many of which have been requested by you awesome FV subscribers!!

Post away!

C

sabrina
      Participant

Hello Casey,

Well, first one to post…not a surprise : when i saw your topic, i jumped on it !! 😉

I have so many things to ask to Hanneke :

– First, i’ll request a technique tutorial about CHOP : i talked about that before, i’d like to learn how to do this and have exercices. May i also suggest to Hanneke to feel free to “chop” in her tutorials when she teaches us tunes ? I know she’s doing it in her recordings and when she’s performing live. It won’t be something to do absolutely for everyone, but something to achieve eventually…it adds so many nice rhythms.

As for the tunes :

– CYPRESS JIG / JIG ATI-TOINE

– PATIENCE

– WHISTLER OF ROSSLEA : a really nice irish tune but my interest here is really Hanneke’s version, especially her bowings and her variations.

From Hanneke’s last cd, “Trip to Walden Pond” (a masterpiece by the way…) :

– TRIP TO WALDEN POND

– PASSING PLACE (my favorite) : for example, she’s doing “chop” in this tune, and it will be nice to have it.

Thank you and thanks to Hanneke for considering those requests,

King regards,
      Sabrina

Casey Willis
        Keymaster

Hi, S.

I’ll pass along the suggestions. Our newest instructor, Niall Murphy, is quite the accomplished chopper….we recorded 8-9 tutorials on the various types of chops that he does when he was in the studio. Those are nearer to the end of the production pipeline than way at the end…but it might be a little while before the whole series is ready for publication.

And that doesn’t mean that H can’t address the chopping subject, too! One way or the other, she’ll see these requests.

C

sabrina
        Participant

Thanks Casey,

I don’t know if there’s any difference between chop in Irish fiddling and Scottish fiddling, but my interest is really Scottish fiddling : if Niall’s tutorial works to learn how to chop, that’s great (he’s an amazing fiddler).

If Hanneke agrees to introduce chop in her tutorials, that will be fantastic.

Thanks again,
        S.

Casey Willis
        Keymaster

Yeah, S. Chopping as more than a 2/4 technique is fairly new to the fiddle lexicon…and I think Niall’s tutorials will get you well on your way to where you wish to go…

sabrina
        Participant

Wonderful Casey, thanks !!! 😉

S.

Sjensens
      Participant

I recently saw Patti Kuskurok do her version of La Belle Catherine on YouTube . I love that tune!! I know it is French, but can Hanneke teach it to us? Or Patti too. Would love to see it on the site.

Susan, lone fiddler from the Bahamas (I think I’m the only one!)

Casey Willis
        Keymaster

Hi, SJ.

You’re in luck. Andre Brunet recorded that great tune during his Fiddlevideo sessions. I’ve asked the guitar player we have working on Andre’s stuff to prioritize recording the backup for LBC over other tunes. It may be a little bit, but your wish is granted…that tune will be taught on this site by an AMAZING player!!!

Cheers!!

C

Sjensens
      Participant

Also Mist Covered Mountains of Home, or by its Scottish name ‘Chi Mi Na Morbheanna’. Johnny Cunningham does an ethereal version from the Celtic Fiddle Festival. Would love Hanneke to teach us this one too.

Casey Willis
        Keymaster

Hi again, SJ. I believe Niall recorded “The Mist Covered Mountains” in his sessions…Or Kevin did.

I think we actually have a couple of tunes to produce (one from Kevin and one from Niall)…both “The Mist on the Mountain” and “The Mist Covered Mountain”..maybe they’re the same tune and I’m getting confused, but I know we have at least one tune involving mist and mountains…stay tuned for that!!

C

dwaynedoll
      Participant

First of all. I love this website. Got the yearly subscription for a Christmas present. Some of the tunes I learned thus far from Hanneke ‘s lessons are “The Captain” and “For Reals” I would like to request Ides of March and Trip to Walden Pond, Passing Place, and if possible Dusky Meadow. Thanks Hanneke and Cassey!

Casey Willis
        Keymaster

Thanks for the kind comments, Dwayne. Sounds like you received the Clark W. Griswold Jam of the Month award this Christmas…the gift that keeps on giving!!

Duly noted, sir…I’ll pass those on to H!

C

uncleted
      Participant

Archibald MacDonald of Keppoch, to pair with the sailor’s wife

Ty

Casey Willis
        Keymaster

Yes sir, UT. No guarantees that she will choose to record it, but she’ll at least see the request, sir.

Cheers, and fiddle on!

C

Ringlets
        Participant

Roland White

HI Ringlets, Thanks for posting those two very lovely tunes. She plays with passion and beauty and is certainly inspiring. Thanks again for sharing such beautiful music. Roland

Roland White

Hey Hanneke Lovers,

Great to hear of all your suggestions for Tunes and Techniques!

Sounds like your thirst for tunes is not being quenched but only is making you thirstier for the music. Keep up the good work and enthusiasm for fiddling. Cheers to all, RW

RegisM
      Participant

“Calliope house”

I can see Hanneke playing that quite beautifully. Thanks.

Casey Willis
        Keymaster

Hi, Regism.

Niall recorded that tune…I’ll bump it up in the production rotation.

Cheers!

Casey Willis
      Keymaster

OK, folks. We wrapped Hanneke’s session tonight. The final listing of tunes recorded is below. It will be a while before guitar tracks are cut & production finalized, but here are the lessons you have to look forward to on the Fiddlevideo website from Hanneke in the future:

Cypress Jig
      Le Jig a Ti-Toine
      Neil Gow’s Lament for his Second Wife
      Cali’s Wedding
      Colonel Thorton
      The Evenstar
      Trip to Walden Pond
      Dianne’s Waltz
      Dusky Meadow
      Coilsfield House
      Road to Errogie
      Jean’s Reel
      Ide’s of March
      The Passing Place

Also, these tunes are still in Hanneke’s pipeline from prior recording sessions:
      Bog an Lochan
      Flora MacDonald
      Earl of Dalhousie’s
      My Love is but a Lassie
      I Won’t do the Work

All the best from Hanneke and myself…fiddle on!!!

C

sabrina
      Participant

Woohoo !! 😉 I can’t believe that 4/5 of “my” tunes are on the list !!

I suppose that i have good taste !

Thank to you and hanneke for your work.

Kind regard,

S.

Casey Willis
        Keymaster

Too funny, Sabrina. Yeah…I about called you out in the post when I saw that. You have amazing taste or amazing luck, one!!

To all the folks who made a request which didn’t end up recorded, I will put these tunes on the running list we have for future lessons…

And thank you all for the input…so many tunes…so little time!!!

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.