Grace Notes

Tagged: 

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Mike Holgate
      Participant

I would like to start adding Grace Notes to my tune playing but am not sure how to start! I am familiar with the principal -a quick dab on the note above the note to be played, but how do you decide when to use this technique?

Roland White

Hi Mike, Roland White Forum Moderator and Fiddler here, thanks for your post on Grace Notes. Grace notes are used in virtually every style of fiddling I have ever heard. Perhaps a good place to consider starting is to listen to the style of fiddling you personally play and want to add grace notes to and get an idea of how they are applied stylistically. Then you can break that down and see how and where they are used. There are many different ways to apply a grace note from Celtic, to Bluegrass and beyond so it will be an interesting experience for you. There are some similarities from genre to genre but subtle little techniques within their styles that make them unique. Let me know what is your fav style and I can steer you into a direction. One last note for you is that here on Fiddlevideo.com there are short tutorials on individual grace notes for Scottish Fiddle from Hanneke Cassel, check them out.

Casey Willis
      Keymaster

Good question Mike, and follow-up Roland. I agree that it makes a difference what style you are most into…And yes, Hanneke has some really good advice when it comes to the Scottish GNs.

Unless you’re 100% into the Scottish style of playing, my advice would be to pick a spot in a waltz where you like the ornamentation. Then check out the advanced tutorial lesson associated with the song to figure out how to get that sound. Then break it out as a separate exercise and practice practice practice! Then work the ornamentation into the song…

Course, if you’re into Scottish, definitely follow Hanneke’s great tips.

Mike Holgate
      Participant

Hi Roland and Casey – nice to hear from you – I am currently 7 months into “self-learning” in the Scottish tradition (pretty much 100%) so appreciate what you guys are making available for when I dip my toes further into the site and sign up for the lessons! I have had a quick look at Hanneke’s short tutorials of course and will sort out a membership plan shortly as this site appears to have what I need – I just need to understand what I need better 🙂 – the joy of self-learning! For now I think I will just look at mordents and then go from there. Best wishes from the south Coast of the UK.

Casey Willis
        Keymaster

You bet, Mike! If you’re into the Scottish thing, I defer to Hanneke Cassel’s exceptional teaching. She knows her stuff, for sure. Self learning is great, and getting some in-person feedback from a qualified instructor sure helps. If we can help fill in the blanks with the lesson material posted on this site, so much the better! Let us know if you have any additional questions and feel free to continue to post new topics here, sir.

And have some delish food and brew over there in the UK for us State-side guys!

Roland White

Sounds good Mike, You have some good options, and Casey is right about pro help, it will save you time in the long run to learn it right the first time. Good luck with your Scottish Fiddling, I hope you give Hanneke a listen while you get going. Best regards.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.