Fiddle competitions

Home Forums Fiddle Lesson Forum Fiddle competitions

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      tndel
      Participant

I am trying to figure out what catagory the songs “Limerock” and “Jerusalem Ridge” fall under when entering a fiddle competition. I have seen “Limerock” listed as a hoedown but have heard some contestants play it under tune of choice. Likewise, with “Jerusalem Ridge” played as a tune of choice but seen it listed online as a hoedown. Are this things subjective or are there some rules somewhere that someone could share with me? Thanks!!

Casey Willis
      Keymaster

Hi, Tndel. That’s a darn good question.

I would say that it entirely depends on what region of the states you are playing in. If I were competing at a western/Texas style contest, I wouldn’t play Jerusalem and would consider playing Limerock as a tune of choice. In the eastern/southern region of the states, you might get away with playing both as breakdowns, but Limerock is such a show tune, that I default it to the Tune of Choice bucket.

I would say the the best thing to do is ask the judges (if there is a judges meeting prior to the contest) what they think.

You can try researching rounds played by other players at the same contest in prior years…sometimes you can find YouTube videos of full rounds.

I wish I could be more specific, but I’ve had to ask that same question myself. Hope that at least gets you pointed in the right direction!

All the best!

C

Roland White

Hi Tindel,

I agree with Casey on this one as Contests have regional influences. For the National Fiddle Contest they do have a Judges meeting on Sunday of Contest Week so that is a good time to ask the judges.

I also agree as to Jerusalem Ridge being a hoedown tune and Limerock being a show tune that is played as Tune of Choice.

The question for which tunes are Hoedowns and which are Tunes of Choice are widely debated. For instance Liberty is actually a two step and I’ve heard it played as a Tune of Choice Swing style and also as a Hoedown fiddle style, both accepted by the judges so it appears there are no set rules for some tunes.

If Contests don’t have a Judges Meeting then you can always run some of the judges down before the competition for an answer on specific tune titles, most judges are kind generous and love to talk about fiddling. Have fun at your next contest, Like my friend Byron Berline says “have Fun and Play your Best” Kind regards, Roland

tndel
      Participant

Thanks so much for you input! I’m still new at figuring out the fiddling competitions and I really appreciate your help!

Casey Willis
        Keymaster

You bet. I’ve found that fiddle contests are great motivators for honing your playing. They give you a reason to be as perfect as possible as you practice and to really focus on where you need to improve.

That said, I’ve also found that I have the most fun at contests when I go to jam rather to compete…so your choice!!

All the best.

C

Roland White

Casey,

You are right on! Equal doses of Contest Fiddling and Jamming, not to mention the life long friends and fiddlers you meet each year plus you can’t wait to go back the next year. Have fun and keep up the fiddling, Roland

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.