Daily Fiddle Blog, All thoughts Fiddle

Home Forums Fiddle Lesson Forum General Fiddle Forum Topics Daily Fiddle Blog, All thoughts Fiddle

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Roland White

Hi Roland White Forum Moderator here with a shout out to all fiddlers for a general all thoughts forum about fiddling. Whether it’s a practice, equipment, technique, attitude or tune problem, chime in and see if any other forum readers are having the same experience.

So to get things started how about some comments on setting practice goals. What works for you? With the new year looming will you put some new resolve into your practice schedule? How many things do you try to accomplish in your practice sessions? How many times a week do you practice and for how long. Any thoughts to share with others will be appreciated, lets share some ideas and set up for a great year of practice and music in 2015.

Roland White

Time to get excited about a new Fiddle Contest season for 2015. Upcoming biggest event is the National Oldtime Fiddlers Contest and Festival in Weiser Idaho the 3rd full week in June. This new year and Spring there are several in New Mexico and Arizona. In the Pacific NW there is the Oregon and California State Contests the, The Spirit of the West Fiddle Contest in Ellensberg Washington in February and NW Regional in late April in the Spokane area. If you’re looking for some good intermediate and advanced tunes be sure and check out the fiddlevideo.com tune library for inspiration and some mighty fine instruction from Casey Willis and Hanneke Cassel.

Casey Willis
      Keymaster

Thanks for the update, Roland. I know a lot of folks here in the Pacific Northwest are gearing up for contest season. I think it’s great to have a goal to work on. I always felt that my playing was refined when I practiced the same song over and over preparing for contests…

Good luck to you in all your fiddling endeavors this year!

Roland White

Hi there Forum Readers. Hard to believe that Spring is just around the corner and there are some fun Oregon Workshops coming up to shout out about. First is a Performance and Contest Workshop coming up at the Oregon State Fiddle Contest on March 21 and the Workshop on March 22 both at Chemekata Community in Salem. The Workshop on March 22 is being taught by FiddleVideo Creator and main instructor Casey Willis. It will be featuring advanced bowing and learning tunes with the students receiving a free month on FiddleVideo after the workshop. If you’re an Oregon Forum Reader here is a link to the Flyer and application which is funded by a Kielhorn Endowment Grant making the workshop free for students under 18 years old. Here is the link to download the forms. Help me spread the word to our young fiddlers.https://www.dropbox.com/s/3cv22w5mntr…/Willis%20FlryApp.pdf…

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.