creole

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      KellyDonovan1
      Participant

I fell in love with a tune called pa janvier. the one i heard was performed by cedric watson. does anyone know how to play that? or can help me learn. im 4 years in the violin started at 30. love it but i still need to learn a lot. i taught myself so far, and from things like this. any one ever heard this tune?

Casey Willis
      Keymaster

I sure haven’t, Kelly. Is it Cajun?

Anybody else know this tune or have some links/advice for Kelly??

KellyDonovan1
      Participant

creole or cajun yes not sure the difference

KellyDonovan1
      Participant

sabrina
      Participant

It’s a nice tune Kelly : i can’t help on the violin part unfortunately since i can’t play by ear but from what Cedric Watson says at the beginning, it appears to be a song that Dennis McGee (an amazing Cajun fiddler) learnt when he was very young. The tune was played in the Louisiane a lot for weddings (even though it’s a sad waltz).

Cedric Watson’s french is not very good : he’s talking Cajun so i can’t understand the full of it but here’s the lyrics of the song :

Oh pa janvier, donne moi Pauline
      Oh no Pauline, Pauline est trop jeune
      Oh Pa Janvier c’est la seule que moi je peux aimer
      Ouais, c’est la seule que moi je peux aimer dans tout le pays
      Oh pa janvier donne moi Pauline
      Tu vas me faire mourir si tu me la donnes pas
      Parce que je l’aime trop, j’aime trop Pauine
      Oh Pauline ma chere tite Pauline
      Qui moi j’aime autant
      Oh pa janvier tu me fais trop du mal
      Quand tu me refuses, tu me refuses mais Pauline
      Oh pa janvier tu me creves le coeur
      Goodbye Goodbye goodbye pour toujours

The song is about a man who is in love with a girl called Pauline and he asks to “Pa Janvier” to let him love her but Pa janvier refuses because she’s too young.

Sorry to not be able to help for the fiddle part,

Kind regards,
      Sabrina

KellyDonovan1
        Participant

thanks for the song info i ound a similiar version searching for sheet music to try and note out but i cant find anything

Roland White

Hi All, Interesting tune and in my humble opinion is from the Cajun Tradition especially if he learned it from McGee, whom I had a chance to hear some 30 years ago or more at a Concert of Traditional music that came to Portland Oregon. It has that raspy cajun harmony that cuts to your soul. Thanks for posting. Roland

KellyDonovan1
      Participant

i want to learn it
      i cant even really read music yet. i only started playing at age 30. about 4 years now. any help would be great

Ann Vidrine of Baton Rouge, Louisiana (native of Ville Platte, LA) may be able to help you with the fiddle tablature for the tune.

Roland White

Hi Will, Thanks for the resource you posted for FV members to pursue the cajun tune that was posted. Is she available by email or on her website? That info might be of further help. Thanks for posting on the FV forum. best regards,
      Roland

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.