Choice of rosin?

Home Forums Fiddle Lesson Forum Fiddle Setup and Repair Choice of rosin?

Tagged: 

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      ulla_petersen
      Participant

We have talked a lot about strings, and of course choosing the best strings for your instrument is of the utmost importance.

But as I have recently learned, choice of rosin is of great importance, too! I started out 3 years ago with the rosin that came with my first, inexpensive viola, and I continued with this when I bought my carbonfibre viola. I read a bit about rosin on the internet, and found out that light-coloured rosin is also dry rosin. The rosin that came with my beginner’s viola is of a quite light colour.

Just to try something different, I bought a Nymann dark and soft rosin for violin and viola, and from the very first time I used it, it became much easier to get a full, round tone, and the strings responded more quickly. It was really a big change!

SO I thought it would be great if some of the experienced players in this forum would share their rosin experience with the rest of us.

Roland White

Hi Ulla, Yes rosin can be a new experience for some. for many years I just used the typical gold rosin usually recommended for Violin. some years back I took a few lessons from a great champion fiddler who was also very accomplished in Classical Violin and she suggested Jade Dark Rosin for Violin & Viola.

Like you the second I tried it I felt a difference and most importantly I could hear the difference a cleaner fuller rounder tone. I have let others try it and strongly some feel a difference a some don’t. I think it might be most important in the ear of the player and if it sounds better then one should use it if you feel you play better too. Thanks for posting Ulla. Would love to hear some other experiences out there in FV land so chime in. Best regards, R

Casey Willis
      Keymaster

W.C Hill Dark.

Andrea Solo Violin Rosin (1/2 cake and I renew every six months). Over the years I used various brands of light rosin with no complaints, however, I tried the Andrea Solo (which is a dark rosin) and like the increase in bite that it gives my bow on the strings.

Roland White

Hi Will,

I tried Andrea Red and really liked it till I found the Jade. I thought it was smooth and did bite good. I might have to give the Solo a try. thanks for posting. R

fiddle1966
      Participant

Hidersine is very good and does’nt leave alot of residue on your fiddle.

NewFiddler
      Participant

Does it matter if your rosin is old? i’ve had mine for years.

daross
      Participant

I’m also wondering how much rosin one should use and how often to use it.

Casey Willis
        Keymaster

Hi, Daross…

I used to rosin once to twice a week when I was playing shows daily…these days, I don’t play much, so I don’t rosin much…if your playing a couple of hours a day, you’ll find that your rosin will need to be refreshed fairly frequently.

My rule of thumb – soft/wispy tone means I should re-apply (this is also a good indication that your bow might need rehairing)….biting/harsh tone means I should maybe back off on the rosin for a bit.

Hopefully that’s helpful!

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.