Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      bassman2me
      Participant

I need another bow; bows range in price from cheap to outrageous
      so how do you decide ?

Casey Willis
      Keymaster

I hear you, Bassman. I would recommend staying away from fiberglass or carbon fiber bows. You should try several different pernambuco bows from a reputable violin shop. Some may allow you a trial period with a couple to see what works best for you. I know you can spend tons of money on a bow, but it’s a cost/benefit equation, where most players should be able to find a bow that fits their needs for under $300.

That being said, you can sometimes run into a good find if you look for used fiddles…sometimes the real treasure is a well-made stick…

Keep us posted, sir!

Casey Willis
      Keymaster

Update – I’m in the studio today with Kevin Burke, and he chimed in to say that for an experienced player, good equipment is paramount. Kevin recommends his brother, Noel Burke, who is one of the best makers these days….his price will reflect his expertise, but Kevin says that good quality will be an investment. If you’re a student in a harsh climate looking for a reliable stick, Kevin says that a good carbon fiber is a nice choice.

There are a couple of opinions for you, Bassman. Thanks!!

DanRoseberry
      Participant

I have been trying out bows for a couple of months now. My current bow is a German Brazilwood silver mount bow, but it is heavy, over-haired and poorly balanced. Being a rather financially challenged guy I have been looking up to around $700 or so. I have found that a pernambuco bow in that price range isn’t much better than my clunky German bow. Certainly not better enough to lay out that kind of money. So I kept looking and kept researching. Pretty much everyone says that a pernambuco bow would be the best, but in that price range several people have said that you get more bow for your money with carbon fiber. In other words, a $700 carbon fiber bow will probably play better than a $2,000+ pernambuco bow (so they say). So I have begun testing them. I just tried four Codabow’s and then some JonPaul bows. Getting ready to try some more next week. I just read this and see that Casey doesn’t recommend carbon fiber. Now I am worried. I checked out Noel Burke’s bows and they are way out of my price range. Any last minute advice for me?

Casey Willis
        Keymaster

Hi, Dan. You know, I don’t have much personal experience with a well made carbon fiber, so take my opinion with a grain of salt. I did play with one during a country show a while back and didn’t like it as well as my regular bow.

I do remember that they had a bad rep when they first came out, but I would imagine that technology has changed quite a bit and they have been refined since. So give them a whirl! I know that they are much less affected by humidity/heat.

It’s a tough path to find a good used one. If you’re looking for a good stick at a bargain, you’re usually stuck trying a bow with 20 year-old hair…so you don’t really know what you have till you pay for a rehair job. Keep us posted, sir!!!

DanRoseberry
        Participant

Thanks, Casey! I will try to post something if I ever find “the right” bow!

bassman2me
      Participant

hello dan its still not the most efficient way but found a used bow at local flea market
      looks like a brazel wood but not sure having it rehaired I gave my best bow to my granddaughter but have a feeling I won’t be getting it back

DanRoseberry
        Participant

We do have a flea market close by. Maybe I will check it out. We’ve been meaning to give it a visit anyway.

Roland White

Another place to find bows is in 2nd hand stores in small rural towns. Most folks are looking for a cheap fiddle and lots of times there are old wooden bows from the late 1800’s to the present inside the beat up cases. A good bowman can tell you if its worth it to have it re haired. Have fun Looking!

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.