Bow Technique

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Larry Applegate
      Participant

Casey, I really like your tutorial on bow technique. I’ve also realized for a while now that it is my biggest impediment to learning to play smoothly and effortlessly, and to “stay on String” and add double-stops.

But I can’t seem to be able to bend my wrist and control my fingers and bow hold to get that smooth motion. Yet there doesn’t seem to be any physical problem with my “parts”. My vibrato and intonation is actually pretty decent.

In one of the other forums the poster mentioned using a refrigerator to work on this. Other on-lne tutorials and my instructor from last summer also showed how to use a wall to prevent the elbow flying out etc. (Unfortunately she was unable to continue my lessons once school started).

I just marvel at the wrist and finger control that I observe with expert players such as yourself and Hanneke. I just can’t seem to achieve the wrist bend I see in your technique video, though my wrist seems to bend normally otherwise. Do you have any further thoughts or suggestions?

Cheers,
      Larry

Casey Willis
      Keymaster

Hi Larry! Great question. And yes, you have hit upon the most difficult fiddling element to master in my opinion. I just realized I don’t have a technique video talking about more advanced exercises….I do have some to provide. I will post here or email you when I get that up on the site.

In the mean time, the wall trick is good if you are having trouble with lateral motion in your elbow. I also highly recommend watching yourself play in a mirror so you can see what your mechanics look like. You want flexibility in both your wrist and fingers and yet retain a solid (but not clenched) hold. Try making long, slow bow strokes on an open string and allow your fingers and wrist to cushion the bow direction change both at the top and the bottom of your bow stroke. I’ll focus on this and give you a couple of good exercises in the lesson…it will probably make more sense when you can see what I’m talking about.

Again, welcome to the site. THANKS for your subscription, and stay tuned for an advanced bow technique which, I hope, will really help you get where you want to be as a player.

Casey Willis
      Keymaster

Larry – I found it! I had it classified incorrectly, so it was not showing up in the bow technique videos section. This tutorial contains a bunch of my best advice on wrist and finger techniqe.

Check it out HERE, and let me know if this gave you any insights!

Keep up the good work, sir.

Larry Applegate
      Participant

The key was the mirror. I could then better see what was going on with my attempts, and begin to improve them. Then I found myself making mistakes in my practice tune, and need to work on getting two or three slow songs in better shape, so I can stand in front of the mirror without the sheet music, and focus better on the wrist and bow hold.

I have picked Danny Boy, which I previously played with my instructor from Craig Duncan’s Celtic Duets, and then Westphalia Waltz and Ashoken Farewell from your site. I was working on Westphalia before, but was trying to play an arrangement that was too difficult for me. I really like your simplified versions because they are still satisfyng to play, and help me to avoid playng complicated arrangements badly, playing them over and over so I “learn” the mistakes.

Thanks again,
      Larry

Casey Willis
        Keymaster

That’s great, Larry! Good plans, all. I’m glad to hear of your progress. Keep us posted.

Roland White

Hi Larry, Sorry I missed your initial post as I was traveling over the weekend. I would concur with Casey that the small movements of wrist and fingers is very subtle to observe but all the great violinists and fiddlers seem to have that mastered to get the smoothest bow control. When I first started fiddling a true Oldtime fiddler told me to use a small to medium paperback book under your right arm . In order to make your bow work you have to use your wrist. This is the same as the wall or refrigerator but it sure helped me. Keep working on it and you will notice a difference before long. Let us know how its working.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.