Bow Rehair

Home Forums Fiddle Lesson Forum Bow Rehair

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      uncleted
      Participant

Does anyone have their bow re-haired ever so often? Can you tell the difference after it’s done etc? Thoughts/comments!

Thanks

UT

Casey Willis
      Keymaster

Hi, UT. I can definitely tell a difference when I get my bow rehaired….more grip/better tone. I would recommend working with a rehair guy who does rehairs on a regular basis…that way their hair is fresh. You might also do some research on the types of hair available…Mongolian/Siberian/Argentinian…I’ve had good luck with Mongolian.

the guy you select to rehair your bow should have an opinion on the options of hair…and it’s kind of like a knee replacement…you want the surgeon who does those weekly, not annually…

Last thought – make sure your rehair guy knows where you live…I live in a really dry climate and have my bows rehaired in a moist climate…my rehair guy knows to lengthen the cut to account for the lack of humidity where I live. Just a side note.

Best of luck…I do recommend rehairing at least annually if you are playing a bunch.

That’s coming from the guy who last rehaired his bow 3 years ago…

Best of luck…keep us posted!

C

uncleted
      Participant

Thanks Casey,

You know it’s funny, I realized after I posted this that I had a new bow that came with an electric fiddle and I had not tried it on my main violin. Yes, the tone was much better with a better grip even though it is a much cheaper bow. I guess my main bow will be headed up to Nashville for a re-hair now.
      There is an old saying here in Alabama, if you wake up stupid you are liable to learn something new that day. lol. Anyway, you live and learn!

Ted

Roland White

Hi Uncleted, I agree with all of what Casey said and for us who don’t repair bows regularly there are a few other signs to look for when its worn out. As Casey said you start loosing tone and grip, even with a lot of rosin.

Also the rosin won’t stay on the bow as well when its worn out so look for a lot more rosin dust on your fiddle or even watch it fly off the bow in fine powder for bowing on a rigorous tune.

Another indicator is holding the bow up to some light to see if the hair is shiny or dull. Shiny is worn out and dull is still decent. When I was practicing 2-3 hours a day I needed to re-hair every 4-6 months. Now I’m not playing at that intensity so its been a year since my last repair, but boy does it ever need it now. and I will also be sending mine in anytime now. Thanks for posting and fiddle on!. Roland

uncleted
      Participant

Thanks Roland, now I have to find someone to do it!

Casey Willis
        Keymaster

Fred Carpenter/The Violin Shop in Nashville is a good option if you don’t mind shipping…

uncleted
      Participant

Thanks

uncleted
      Participant

Greetings,

Bow rehair complete and yes the tone/grip is much better. I used the Violin shop in Nashville.
      Thanks for all the tips!

Ted

Casey Willis
        Keymaster

Awesome, Ted. It’s time for me as well…

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.