Book Recommendations

Home Forums Fiddle Lesson Forum Book Recommendations

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      poetmom
      Participant

Greetings! I know the best way to learn about the music is to listen, listen, listen, and play, play, play. That said , I also learn a lot through reading and would love any recommendations of historical or biographical books that would help me learn a little more about the music. For example, Wayfaring Strangers helped me understand quite a bit about the Scottish-Appalachian connection. I am interested in reading about all genres, though I tend more toward Scottish/Cape Breton/Canadian. Thank you!

Roland White

Hi Poetmom,

Thanks for a great idea on your post. Here is link to Fiddler Magazine. They have been around a log time and do a lot of story’s on historical and contemporary fiddlers from all over the world. I think you can buy archives of old issues and also find out how to read the new ones. Thanks for posting, Roland

Link to Fiddler Magazine:
      http://www.fiddle.com

Casey Willis
      Keymaster

Hi, Poetmom. I second Roland’s suggestion. You might also look at the ifiddle app…some good articles in there.

And I really like the approach of learning the stories behind the songs….

MOC did a project a while back (I think) called Strings and Threads. I don’t know if it was just something he was kicking around or it it actually went to production…but basically, it was a musical journey via tunes from one genera to the next…lots of Celtic/Scottish influences and songs as they ended up influencing Appalachian music. You might do some searching to see if that’s out there.

Cheers!!

C

poetmom
      Participant

Thank you, both! Subscription ordered, app downloaded, and Strings and Threads bookmarked!

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.