Black and White Rag

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Duncanius
      Participant

Any chance you could do a lesson on the Black and White rag?

I love the Johnny Gimble version

Roland White

Hi Duncarius, I’m sure Casey will consider adding this tune when he has a chance to get back to Lessons and he may chime in on your request as well. This is a great Contest Tune widely played at The National and State Onetime Fiddle Contests. It is also a tune that is interpreted in a variety of ways by top notch players, including Mr. Gimble himself who really set himself apart from other players with his ability to play a lot of double stops. Thanks for the suggestion and keep up your fiddling. Roland

Casey Willis
      Keymaster

Hey there. Great suggestion. I used to have a version worked up out of the key of A. But almost all of the Texas style players I hear play it in G like this version.

I will definitely add it to the list, but I must tell you that it will be later this year before I get a chance to cut the lesson. When I teach it, I might cover both versions…my version in A, and then a more Texas-style version out of G…We’ll just see what happens. Thanks!

C

Duncanius
      Participant

Thanks Casey! I’m prepping for the Texas State Championship in Halletsville in April and would love to add this one to my repertoire.

Jeff
      jeffthefiddler.com

Casey Willis
      Keymaster

That sounds fun, Jeff. I hear that’s quite the Texas-Style contest event. I won’t have a lesson ready for this April, but hopefully next. I would definitely want to play it out of G at that venue. Let us know how it goes, sir!

C

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.