Tell me your success story

Home Forums Fiddle Lesson Forum Tell me your success story

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Shanito
      Participant

I’m looking for some inspiration here. Anyone pick up the violin late in life and have gotten to an advanced level or at least a level you are happy with? I played viola throughout childhood and really enjoyed playing in school orchestra, but always preferred folk and fiddle style. As an adult, i switched over to violin in order to better play this style. However life got in the way (aka Kids) and I didn’t play for many years. Now that i have a little more time to pick it up, I can’t help but feel disappointed in the quality of sound and how slow my fingers are as compared to my younger years. I was never fabulous, but certainly better than i am now. I’m constantly battling the voice telling me “it’s too late to learn this” with the knowledge that if I stick with it, I will get there. I definitely have the passion and desire, as I LOVE practicing, but its hard to feel like Im nearly starting over. If anyone wants to share their stories of success, I’m all ears

Ian Stock
      Participant

I’m not sure whether this is a success story, but here at least is someone else who can relate to your experience. Perhaps it depends on what you mean by “later in life”… I play Irish music. Since my teens, it was on the mandolin (taken up more by accident than intent). I got to my late forties and finally started going to sessions. The feeling that I had buried, that I needed to play one of the core instruments of the genre surfaced again, assisted by the fact that I could hardly hear the mandolin in that setting. So I switched to the fiddle, aged 47. Luckily the left hand issues were largely taken care of, but the bowing was a whole new skill to learn, and one I am still having to work at – mostly tone issues, like you. Not helped by the fact that several of my family peers are classically trained and rather looked down their noses at the music and noise I was making….It became apparent that the violin is an instrument with an entirely higher magnitude of demands…

Since the spring I have finally been going to an Irish fiddle teacher. Teaching in this genre is strange, and mostly works round learning tunes, There is not a lot of specific work on technique. But through him, I have been exposed to players of an entirely higher order. I found this both exhilarating and depressing – but now it is becoming clear that he himself is a much more accomplished player that I realised. I have found this quite a struggle – I felt I was getting to the point of being a reasonable fiddler, and now that has been questioned all over again. I have even considered giving up. (I wonder how many others have been there too….) Then I realised that the comparison I was making was perhaps not valid. I do still make a reasonable noise for someone who has only been playing what by violin standards is not a terribly long time.

But there is only one way – which is up. I really enjoy playing the fiddle, and finally making something like the ‘proper’ sound of Irish music. But it is a long struggle. I am now 58 and realising that another 20 years work to get really good will mean I will (hopefully) peak rather late in life. On the other hand, my teacher himself is 79 and still going strong, so it can be done!

• This reply was modified 1 year, 5 months ago by Ian Stock.
      robhanson
      Participant

Hi Shannon!

Your story is not all unusual at all. A lot and I would say most who played in school bands, community orchestra, or even played in a garage band move on. When you are young your interests change often. You are eager to experience life and at some point you have to make a decision, family or your musical career.

I started playing music when I was 10 yrs old. I worked hard at it even when I got married. Once the kids came along, will “Family” became the most important thing in my life. So in my 30’s, my focus was on my kids and family. Not until my late 50s when we became empty nesters, did I start to pick up music again.

At age 56 I had a recurring dream that I played cello. Not only did I play cello, but I played cello at Orchestra Hall with the Minnesota Orchestra. Of course I was awesome! I had this dream for about a year, off and on.

At work I heard they had a community orchestra. About that time I was window shopping I saw a cello for sale. It needed a lot of work to make it a playable instrument.

At age 57 I started to learn to play the cello. I had no previous experience with stringed instruments at all. I took lessons for about three months.

At this point I contacted the orchestra director and asked if I could sit in on rehearsals. She asked if I had an instrument and I said yes, cello. She asked if I would like to shadow alongside one of the other cellists. Of course I said yes, even though I had only been playing for 3 months.

I played with the orchestra for the next three sessions.

Remember that dream. The one about playing with the Minnesota Orchestra. Will three years late the MN Orchestra was hosting a “Fantasy Camp”

All you had to do is write an essay on why you would like to play with the orchestra. Never in a million years did I think I would get an opportunity to play with the MN Orchestra.

Will, at 61 years of age that dream came true. I got to rehearse with the orchestra for three full days followed by a concert with the orchestra at Orchestra Hall. Made my bucket list.

I am now 72 years young. Over the years I went on to learn how to play the Violin, Viola, Upright Bass and more. I have played in a number of groups over the years and I still enjoy it. I still attend a jam now and then. Most in the group are in their 70s and up, even a few in their 90s.

Starting to play an instrument late in life is doable.

I will leave you with two things. Always have fun at what you are doing. Second, “If you practice in a vacuum, at some point you can expect to hear a sucking sound” So get out there and play music with others and have fun.

Best wishes on your musical journey!

Kind Regards,
      Robert Hanson

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.